View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

07-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Not really. I made a product comparison test with one of our own 100% "Made in Japan" and a cheaper Chinese order, to find out which carried bigger quality-to-cost ratio. The cheap Chinese design was vastly superior, but I would have flogged the whole assembly line. I wouldn't have been satisfied with just one flogging.

Japan has reputation, but lot of technical skills are gone and so is integrity for the most part (or I'm just in the wrong place). I have had to cancel a couple of projects because I couldn't find anybody who could deliver the necessary quality, the level I've already worked with while in Europe. Many times the subcontractors engage in small-talk, just so they can get friendly, and after wasting great amounts of time from my project, start suggesting that I "really don't need the designed quality" if they can't come through (dude, wrong, it's you who I don't need!).

Quality control requires integrity, and I don't see much of that where I'm sitting. That is bound to show up eventually. At the same time, European section chiefs in Chinese factories are sacking freebooters and opportunists without a second thought, an attitude that is attracting more and more Chinese who still read Kung-tse. There are over 1400 university programs teaching western quality control in China, and I have to say, I can't dismiss if there is "Made in China" somewhere there. At least they're doing something about it.