View Single Post
(#145 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
"The class is" is not wrong, it just depends on how you view "the class". In fact, I would lean toward "is" rather than "are" because I consider the class as a singular group rather than individual students. Anyway, have a look at this link on singular plurals:

Singular or plural for groups of people

Though there is nothing wrong with saying "silver hair," more people would tend to say "gray hair" to describe his hair color.

Thank you, kuuzoku, for the link.
It is interesting.
Singular/plural -wise, to make the long story short, both are OK, though the point of view are different. Right?

And
When it comes to silver/gray hair, I think of Japanese Keigo system.
Sonkeigo and Kenjogo.
I think "silver hair" is sonkeigo, while "gray hair" is kenjogo, or just neutral expression.
From the Japanese-keigo-system point of view, if someone says "My silver hair's got too long, so I'll go to the barber tomorrow", he seems arrogance.
"My gray hair's......" is humble enough.

If I saw a respectful 'gray hair' woman, I would say, "your silver hair is so beautiful!" instead of "your gray hair is so beautiful!"

What do you natives think?
I don't think it is not just the way of Japanese thinking, but worldwide.

In other words, when the polite expression would be proper, one should choose "silver hair".
When neutral or we don't have to consider any respect, we would choose "gray hair", I think.

edit)
On second thoughts;
When the black hair and the white hair intermingle, we should call it "gray."
When there is no black hair, and only white hair, we would call it "silver". Right?

Last edited by Supperman : 08-02-2011 at 09:56 AM.