Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Thank you, kuuzoku, for the link.
It is interesting.
Singular/plural -wise, to make the long story short, both are OK, though the point of view are different. Right?

And
When it comes to silver/gray hair, I think of Japanese Keigo system.
Sonkeigo and Kenjogo.
I think "silver hair" is sonkeigo, while "gray hair" is kenjogo, or just neutral expression.
From the Japanese-keigo-system point of view, if someone says "My silver hair's got too long, so I'll go to the barber tomorrow", he seems arrogance.
"My gray hair's......" is humble enough.

If I saw a respectful 'gray hair' woman, I would say, "your silver hair is so beautiful!" instead of "your gray hair is so beautiful!"

What do you natives think?
I don't think it is not just the way of Japanese thinking, but worldwide.

In other words, when the polite expression would be proper, one should choose "silver hair".
When neutral or we don't have to consider any respect, we would choose "gray hair", I think.

edit)
On second thoughts;
When the black hair and the white hair intermingle, we should call it "gray."
When there is no black hair, and only white hair, we would call it "silver". Right?
I think SILVER Hair is more poetic. I love to see men with a head of silver hair. especially when brushed back-- So many men lose their hair and go bald-- so its wonderful when older men really do still keep their own hair-- I feel they look really distinguished. Our musical director
Had a wonderful head of silver hair and many of the women in his orchestra almost swooned over him-- including myself. But his wife kept a strict eye on him so no flirting allowed.

Many years ago I had a crush on a glamorous American-- clothes designer-- He bought several of our dogs- He had a full head of White/blonde Hair.

Superman, I think if you were to compliment a lady on her hair you would probably say that she looks charming. I don't think you would mention the colour of her hair.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 08-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.