View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
OzukakiBurasuki (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2011, 03:46 AM

Well, that explains a lot now because I was seriously tripping over. I'm sure that I forced myself to learn 12-13 kanji in the past 3 hours verb-wise because of it. Thanks for giving me that info! I was seriously wondering what was the deal with that in the back and scratching my head over it.

So basically, it is never intended for you to learn the kanji in the front part of the book unless, by chance, the kanji is in the back of the book. The front of the book is just for learning grammar, vocabulary, and expressions while the back starts descending you into kanji? I'm guessing that, by the time I finish genki 2, I will have learned the kanji needed for the words from genki 1 then? Or am I just over-thinking things? Also, isn't there a third book in the series with a slightly different name?

The reason I am doing self-study now is because I've always wanted to learn Japanese because my dad lived in Japan in his teenager years and the country was always interesting to me, or well, Asia period. Japan was just... more interesting? (Phillipines would be second favorite) Anyways, I never had the chance to learn Japanese as my high school only had chinese, which I disliked its languages (Cantonese/Mandarin) due to the flow of the words and other reasons. >_> Now, learning that I can't take Japanese in my first term of college (seats are full :/), I'm determined to spend the rest of the summer and fall term getting adjusted to the language so the class would be easier for me to cope with due to my major in chemical engineering taking up all of my time when I take JPN1120 in spring. Also, I found out that they are using the Genki series, so guess what book I started studying? XD

To be clear though, since I am currently on lesson 3 in the front of the book, should I go ahead and catch up with lesson 3 in the back of the book and then just do it as lesson 4 in the front and lesson 4 in the back at the same time and go from there?

Last edited by OzukakiBurasuki : 08-04-2011 at 04:16 AM.