View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I was wondering if there is any additional charge slapped on the purchase of a Named Pasmo Card? Unless the automated machines can handle katakana, I know I'll have to go to a Pass Office for that, since I'll have to produce my passport so they know which name to attach to the card. I've never purchased a SUICA or Pasmo card in the times I've been there since I used my JR Pass or walked it. But this time I want to add more money to it for the ability to use the pass other than for transportation purposes. I'd like to have it "personalized" in case I lose it or at the very least, to have a different souvenir. I understand I'll lose the deposit on the card by not returning it. I was just curious if anyone has done this purchase before or knows what's involved.
As far as I remember there's no charge to get your name on your Suica if you don't already have one. If you buy a new one for like 1,000 (500 fee and 500 deposit) then you can go through the process and get a new Suica card, and they should ask you for your name. Mine actually has my name on it in English because I wasn't paying attention to what the machine was going to do so I wrote in English and that's what the machine printed lol.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography