View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question Need a Japanese word that I don't know and can't find. - 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM

I am taking a student group to Japan shortly. I speak very basic but "functional" Japanese.

One of the group has a food allergy to "bivalve shelfish". Not stuff like shrimp and lobster. Apparently not single shell types of shelfish either. Just stuff like clams........ most "bivalves".

I have taught her how to say that she has a food allergy to clams (and "kai" in general). But we need to extend that thought to ALL bivalves (but not inadvertantly to stuff like shrimp).

So a more general term like a generic "shellfish" might result in her not getting stuff like shrimp.... which she does eat and loves.

So can anyone here please tell me the correct Japanese term for only bivalve types of shelfish?

And would the average Japanese waiter or waitress actually recognize that "bivalve" term, or would only a marine biologist know it?

I'd appreciate any help you might give here. The life you save might appreciate it too <lol>.

best,

...................john