(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-31-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpalpha View Post
Thanks, Nyororin and masaegu, for your responses

So, I get that using excessive kanji is in poor taste. I suppose, then, that I should look up each new kanji I encounter and hope that the usage description in that entry is accurate (if any specific usage is delineated there to begin with). Is there a better way to address this issue, though?

I agree with masaegu that overuse of kanji is a problem with people who have a background in Chinese language. It is difficult for me to "unlearn" a kanji that I know should only be written in hiragana (especially if I know the kanji already from Chinese language studies).

Also, I'm a little confused by the lookup method. I looked up つまらない in Jim Breen's dictionary and it shows the kanji for that word right next to the hiragana. That entry doesn't seem to say anything about it being more common to write the word in hiragana. jisho.org does though. Anyway, I promise I do understand your point, and know better than to question those who are intimately familiar with the Japanese language
Reading, writing and getting corrected a whole lot is probably the only way you will learn this. There are no written rules per se regarding these phenomena; All there is are tendencies and senses of aesthetics.

Languages change through time. Words keep losing and adding meanings. I was just talking to another learner about the following pair of words.

適当(てきとう) written in kanji means "appropriate".
テキトー written in kana means "random".

Those mean just about the opposite things.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.