View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

09-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
what a rude arrogant person you are acjama.
Agreed. But that doesn't invalidate my point in any way.

Here's another one: a person goes into university and studies six years for his/her Masters degree in English. After that, he/she enters the pedagogic curriculum, and finishes that as minor. Then he/she gets a teaching job and ends up in a class with 20 kids who do not speak a word of English and who are ten years old. By the time they are 13, the homework includes essays and classes have complete conversations in English. Mistakes and weird sentences occur, sure, but they are 13 years old. By the time they get to the university, they don't even notice that the lectures were switched to English because there is a guest student from Trinidad attending.

This is not a hypothetical situation, I was there.

You take a course and you expect the same respect as my teacher? I might be rude, but you are by far more arrogant than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames
I'm not impressed with the insinuation that non-native foreigners are somehow exempt from this same behavior, it's the same shit from a different pile.
Native vs. non-native speaker was really not my point there, but rather that Japanese favor native speakers far more than professional teachers of any origin, and native speaking non-qualifieds are just using that to party in Japan, with obvious results. Non-native speakers can't really abuse the system the same way. Instead, in order to have English skills, they need to go through everything that Japanese want their kids to go through.