View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
coolcopy (Offline)
New to JF

Actually, not so :-) - 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Anti-climactic? It sure looks like it... Then again, you probably said that because I didn't make the context clear enough

That neon features in one of the earlier scenes from ''Lost in Translation'', the movie with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. Bob (Bill Murray's character in the film) arrives in Tokyo at night, and is on a taxi ride to his hotel. He passes a few (actually, many!) billboards/neons on his way to the hotel. Towards the end of his ride, there's a moment when he looks up at this particular sign for a few seconds.

And that's the one I posted.

Now, in relation to the movie, there doesn't seem to be any particular significance. I mean, hey, what's so special about just another sign board in Tokyo? But this question came up on one of the movie forums I frequent. The OP wanted to figure out what was said on that sign.

Thinking about it, was there something really different about that ordinary-looking neon that made Bob pay more attention to it?

Now that we know what it means, maybe it adds more depth to the scene. Just my guess

Cheers, take care and have a great weekend!

Viju

P.S. Sorry for the exposition. Just felt I needed to explain the background.