View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, I need help on the phrases below. I am confused regarding which of these phrases are correct and wrong? And when is the right time to use "had", "has had" and "have had"?

I had already eaten.

I have already eaten.

He has gone for his dinner.

He went for his dinner.

She had already eaten.

She has already eaten.

She has had her dinner already.

She had her dinner already.

He has gone home.

He had gone home.

He has already gone home.

He had already gone home.

He already went home.
All those sentences are correct, but with very subtle differences in meaning. The only one I would 'correct' would probably be the very last, which I personally would say "He has already gone home". Dogs' is also correct, but to me hers sounds a little formal, but what sounds natural in speech varies from region to region . . .

Anyway, with 'had' you are describing an action that occured in the past and has little relevance to the present, so for example 'I had already eaten' means at that moment in the past you already ate when another action occured. When you say 'I have already eaten' the 'have' indicates that the action still has an affect on the present, so you ate in the past but that state of having eaten still affects the present.

Sorry, it's very hard to explain, so perhaps someone else can clear up what I mean a little better.

Basically something like "I had already eaten" might be used in a situation discussing the past, such as "Why didn't you eat your dinner?" and the reply "I had already eaten". Whereas 'I have already eaten' might be used in discussion about the present, so 'Why aren't you eating?' and the reply 'I have already eaten'.

Hope that helps and I haven't made it more confusing!

Edit: 'has' works exactly the same as 'have' does, but you use 'has' in reference to talking about someone else's actions, such as "she has", and 'have' in relation to one's own actions, such as 'I have'.

Last edited by RobinMask : 09-29-2011 at 01:07 PM.