Thread: Has, Have, Had
View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Just to say that I was in a hurry when I wrote a reply so was not very thorough. I rushed my reply.

columbine wrote:

Bill had rushed into the office at the last minute, the vital evidence clasped in his hand only to find that Detective Smith wasn't there. "He already went home?" he cried, to the empty office. (Correct)

Would you really say that? Is this An Americanism? ( Has he already gone home?) surely is more natural. Or (has he left already?)

(My friend went home early because he was too tired to work). I went to work early this morning.) He went to catch the early bus but arrived too late. He missed it as it Had to keep strictly to its timetable, so my friend had to wait for the next bus. He was not very happy as it would mean he would be late for work. When he arrived late for work, his boss questioned him, "Why are you so late today?" " I am very sorry sir, but I missed my bus and Had to wait for the next one." Well You should get up earlier, don't be late again or you will have to leave." When he went home that evening he felt so sad. His wife told him not to worry, she knew what a hard worker he was. "I shall have to set the alarm earlier in the future then you should not miss your bus again." It has been a lesson to me," he replied to his wife. He never did miss his bus again, so still works hard working for the same company he has been with for many years. His wife HAS set the alarm ten minutes earlier than before.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-30-2011 at 02:35 PM.