View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO View Post
Does anybody here know where I can find Japanese maps for GPS navigation?

I've tried TomTom, Garmin, Navigon, Blaupunkt and several more. Many of them are providing maps for a huge part of the world - but none of them includes Japan. I find that strange - what's the reason? I can buy maps of e.g. Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Congo, Angola, Mexico and Chile - all less developed countries compared to Japan - but no Japanese maps are available - I don't get it?

I can read and write hiragana and katakana, but would prefer something working in romanji - or most simple, just to be able to add a Japanese map to a GPS device that I can buy at home.

Is there anythin working for Google Maps Navigation where I can download the maps from home? Downloading the maps in Japan will cost a fortune in data...

Thank you in advance!
I'm calling Garmin tomorrow about this situation, because i'm going to Japan in March. I've been trying to search for Japan maps/navigation systems also and its difficult, for some reason. I'll update you on what they say. Anyway, I'm pretty sure this map includes Japan.
Old version-
Amazon.com: Garmin MapSource WorldMap (CD-ROM): GPS & Navigation
New version-
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=662&ra=true

I heard that it is good enough to navigate, but not extremely detailed. You can read the reviews on it. One customer said, "I've used it in London, Cambridge, Paris, Tokyo and Munich." So, i guess it does have Japan.

A good gps navigation system is the Shake!350. It has the address, phone numbers, and POI's in English.

I don't have a facebook.