View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

11-25-2011, 07:41 PM

this is stupid, specially if you are trying to make a part of a default curriculum

first of all, people usually (at least in Europe) learn the language with which they will have the most likely contact.
for me it was my native Latvian, English and Russian - started them at grade 6 or 5.
after that you can go and learn whatever language you want. probably in every country there is a way to learn any language you want.

what use will it be if there is a mandatory language lessons when there is nobody to speak it? like say for a Norwegian or Swiss?

unless you are a neighbouring country to Japan, then there is no need in trying to get Japanese taught in schools. that kind of stuff is left for universities where the language is taken up by people who are actually interested in serious study and use of the language.

in my country each year we have only 70+ new students who pick up Japanese. only 70 but there still is a programme for us with a native teacher.
so if my in middle of nowhere country has means to provide these lessons then every other country probably also has! so there is no need for a BS petition which will accomplish nothing.