View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-04-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student95 View Post
Just as the title suggests, I don't think I quite understand the difference between them. I've been told that there is some difference in terms of 'effort' when using either 見えます and みられます or きけます and きこえます

Good point and no one so far has addressed it. Though I am not a Japanese-learner, I seriously doubt that the "English translations" that have been given above would help you actually use these verbs correctly in the right situations.

見える: Takes some effort. Something is small, blurry, far away, etc. but you can (manage to) see it.

見られる: Takes no effort. It is either something is there or not there, such as the availability of TV broadcasting in remote areas.

聞ける: Takes some effort. "If you go deep in the mountains of eastern parts of Tennessee and Kentucky, you can hear English pretty much the way it was spoken in England 200 years ago. You cannot hear it anywhere else, not even in England."

聞こえる: No effort. As Ronin4hire stated, it talks about whether or not something is audible to you. "Loud enough or not" is the question.

In certain situations, however, I must admit that not a few native speakers do use the two verbs in each pair interchangeably.

Quote:
I remember that the connotations of using みえない is that it implies that you are blind...can someone show me a clear distinction between them?
It can imply that but not always. As I stated above, even someone with a good eye vision cannot see everything if it is very small, blurry, etc.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.