View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKitagawa View Post
So I've decided I am going with this tattoo for sure now. i do have one last question however. for the second sentence:
ときどきぼくにはそれがただひとつ の正しい行為であるように思える。

It's too long to write in one line. Where do you think would be a good place to break it up? I've been trying different things, but I don't know where a natural place to start a new line would be... Maybe something like:

ぼくは夢を見る。
ときどきぼくにはそれがただひとつの正しい
行為であるように思える。

or maybe:

ぼくは夢を見る。
ときどきぼくにはそれがただ
ひとつの正しい行為であるように思える。

Again, I don't know if either of these look awkward to the native speaker or not, but I do need to break up that sentence into two lines. It just doesn't fit on one line, due to the length of it.
Also, I don't know much about writing Japanese vertically, but that's also a possibility. what do you guys think?
The most "natural-looking" ways to break it up into 3 lines, if you cared about how it would look to Japanese speakers, would be:

ぼくは夢を見る。
ときどきぼくにはそれがただひとつの
正しい行為であるように思える。

Horizontal or vertical would be up to your own sense of aesthetics and it may also depend on what part of your body this is inked onto. Needless to say, Murakami writes vertically as do 99.9% of professional Japanese novelists.

Lastly, DO NOT center the 3 lines if you choose vertical. It would look weirder to Japanese speakers than you would imagine. 

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.