View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PR0DiGY (Offline)
New to JF

Coming to jap? Read please :D - 04-17-2007, 02:16 AM

Hi guys

OK this will probably be a long post, as I am not really thinking of what to write, just writing what comes to my head.

First of all, last year I really wanted to learn Japanese, but I dunno, stupid nonsupporting parents

Anyway, I watch lots of anime and now I really really want to learn it, doesn't matter what they all say! This is not just because of the anime (of course not), I've always wanted to visit japan, not like a 3 week stay and such, more like a year, or as long as I can, the visa system is kinda stupid IMO.

I noticed there are so many people here that are aussies, like me, and have learnt quite abit of the language, which is cool! If anyone reads this, what kind of visa are you on?

I'm currently in year 11 at school (second last year), currently second term (we have 4 terms here in AUS, 2 semesters, 2 terms= 1 semester, sorry I dunno how school system is in other countries)

lol I know a few basic words from anime, once you keep hearing that it kinda just gets stuck to your head, Wouldn't be cool to watch jap anime without subtitles..

Moving on... I haven't taken any jap classes at school, I wanted to do it last year halfway but they wouldn't let me change into it, as it was too late, and this year the class was full , I'm not sure if its a good idea to take it in year 12 if I have never done it before, If I did take it, I definitely would study hart etc.. Any advice on this? Also maybe they wouldn't let me go into it in year 12 as I haven't done it in previous years.

Next thing, Exchange program.. I possibly can do an exchange thing out of school, First I need to learn as much Japanese as I can..

umm, I'm looking at accommodation on sakura-house, good apartment in tokyo for 80000 yen a month.. I wouldn't need an apartment if I was on exchange though.. it says it comes with free internet (DSL), how fast is 'DSL' in japan? (Speed is a big issue for me)

Next is visa.. What other types of visa can I go on? I guess the student visa would work like this??; College/uni takes you in, which grants you the visa?? can someone please give me more info?

Probably the last thing now, until I edit; any good resources for beginners? like online sites etc, I know books are a very big thing in this field and I will go to the library (for the first time in umm, 5 years or so), and get as many books on japan as I can (well not as many, max limit is 20 books at a time )

lol I see an advertisement for the '300' Bar, 'All drinks 315 yen, thats like 3 bucks AU 0.o, I'm only 16 though and I don't drink, anyway this is irrelevant to the topic.

I appreciate any help and advice on this, but please no put downs like 'WTFBBQ GIVE UP!!111'

Thanks so much for reading