LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalgirlj View Post
When I was at the Funimation panel at Anime USA, Funni said when they did this poll about otaku, most otaku perferd dubs.
Well it doesn't really matter either way. Most people who watch the stuff and don't speak japanese will watch it dubbed. And nobody's special for preferring to read subs over a language they obviously don't understand. And quite frankly, given the resources, some english language dubs today are just fine. I've seen some terrible ones in spanish, in fact, most spanish dubs are terrible. And around the world, they seem to dub everything in their native language, even live action movies, and I think that's just lame. They should take the opportunity to learn english given so much (esp. live) material out there. It's certainly not true of obscure japanese; you will most definitely have to aggressively learn that language, not casually watch stuff. Who's going to do that? Not many.

Last edited by xyzone : 12-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2009, 12:17 AM

Gotta love the posts saying "subs are way better" without even explaining themselves.

As I mostly buy my anime, I prefer to first watch it with dubs then with the subtitles. There are several shows that have dubs that even surpass the original Japanese voices, in my opinion. Plus, friends and family are more open to watching the show in English than listening to audio they don't understand and stuck reading.
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Runba (Offline)
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Send a message via AIM to Runba Send a message via MSN to Runba Send a message via Yahoo to Runba Send a message via Skype™ to Runba
12-21-2009, 10:30 AM

it really depends on the series really...

if they are from english speaking regions or non japanese regions, I prefer dubs
(Hellsing and I suppose CowBoyBeBop)
if their from japanese regions or it's a show based in japan or something then subs (Anything else... Bleach, Naruto, I dunno about One Piece but the dubs are terrible)

さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!
(#104 (permalink))
Old
LordKiwii (Offline)
JF Regular

12-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Usually I don't mind dubs. The one you're used to often sounds the best. (I used to watch naruto with eng dubs and then switched to subs because they were further in the series. At first it sounded awful)

But I love subs better because I'm also trying to learn Japanese and it helps (a little).

Don't worry you're just as sane as I am ~ Luna Lovegood

I'm not weird. You are all just too normal.

STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF

My favorite bands (atm) all in one crappy made signature, yaay! Cinema Bizarre, DBSK, The GazettE and An Cafe!
(#105 (permalink))
Old
Liongale (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Liongale Send a message via MSN to Liongale
12-22-2009, 07:38 PM

You always got to give both a chance, and go series by series. Though it's not a majority of the cases, sometimes the dubs are better than the original Japanese language version. Any list is debatable, so the best example I can say is the El Hazard dub, which the creators of El Hazard liked so much he considered the English voices the official voices of the characters.
(#106 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Yeah, and another thing is when characters all just talk like themselves, different languages at different times. Not that stuff where everyone magically speaks the same language no matter where they're from. I only remember the name of one such anime, it was called blood: the last vampire.
(#107 (permalink))
Old
Jesshie (Offline)
New to JF

12-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Eh, they're about the same. It really depends on who dubs it, to me. Companies like FUNimation dub really well, whereas 4Kids can't dub to save their lives (mainly because they insist on Americanizing everything they get their grubby hands on). Some dubs sound really...bad, but some are really good. I always love subbed though, you just can't compare to the original. Though sometimes it's just easier to watch it in English than read subs.

tl;dr --> either or.
(#108 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

01-03-2010, 11:56 PM

Dubs. Except 4Kids.

Subs can feel like your just reading a book but you don't have to use mental imagery.
(#109 (permalink))
Old
Oni (Offline)
<3

Send a message via AIM to Oni Send a message via Yahoo to Oni
01-10-2010, 04:50 PM

I think about it this way... subs you can put onto a ipod and watch in class when a teacher is talking (I have done this numerous times ).... and dubs you play for your friends so they can understand the story and not have to focus on reading. Although I do prefer subbed to dubbed.

A Sonozaki at her finest (links may be spoilers):

http://higurashiualuealuealeuale.ytmnd.com/
http://higurashicowbell.ytmnd.com/

Aishite mo ii kai?
(#110 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
01-10-2010, 06:07 PM

I agree with people saying dubbing seems fake. It just doesn't go together well. So subbing for me

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)