JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
LawlietsGirl (Offline)
JF Regular

that's not always true - 01-21-2008, 12:08 AM

there are some black people in anime, but you don't always see them. if anyone's ever seen blood plus, there's 2 (count 'em, 2!) black guys in the show. both play somewhat of a big role in the show, too! >_<
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-21-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlietsGirl View Post
there are some black people in anime, but you don't always see them. if anyone's ever seen blood plus, there's 2 (count 'em, 2!) black guys in the show. both play somewhat of a big role in the show, too! >_<
You do see black characters...but funny, they never have Japanese names. Which tells me that the "caucasian" depicted in the OP's question aren't really caucasian.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Yokan (Offline)
Silly God Disco Dancer

Send a message via AIM to Yokan
01-21-2008, 12:34 AM

I've heard Japanese people want "Western eyes" now... like they're getting surgeries to change their eyeshape. I think manga has heavily influence on this, since the eyes tend to be glittery and oversized - especially in shojo.

And we all know that real human beings, including Westerners, do not have those enormous eyes. -__-

o(≧∀≦)o

You know you wanna click this... *shifty eyes*
Meh Family So Far:
My Tempura Panda Onee Chan - criminalpanda
My Frisky Cocktail Kitsune - DesiredMess
My Supa Strawberry Soaker - miyavikuun
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MaymeRachael (Offline)
War Sucks, Let's Party!

Send a message via Yahoo to MaymeRachael
01-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Yeah, I heard about the sugery thing also (weird)

Muffin Club Founder & President l Miyavi Stalking Society l Jello Club
Matoi from Phantasmagoria l Sharing Satoshi from Girugamesh w/Miyavifan
MEMBER OF THE FINAL FANTASY CLAN CODENAME:AERIS
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-21-2008, 01:17 AM

I heard that Anime characters are drawn with big eyes because it's easier to show emotion in big eyes. You'll notice that in much anime, the noses and mouths are still still very Asian looking. In Disney cartoons you'll notice that the eyes are exaggerated for the exact same reason however because Asians have smaller eyes a lot of people make the mistake that they are trying to draw them white.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-21-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaymeRachael View Post
Yeah, I heard about the sugery thing also (weird)
I'd be careful when jumping to that conclusion. I don't think it's about being less Asian looking. Rather they just want bigger eyes. I mean you wouldn't say that a white woman getting a tan was doing so because she was trying to be black or latino, she probably just likes the look of the complexion.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-21-2008 at 01:27 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-21-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I'd be careful when jumping to that conclusion. I don't think it's about being less Asian looking. Rather they just want bigger eyes. I mean you wouldn't say that a white woman getting a tan was doing so because she was trying to be black or latino, she probably just likes the look of the complexion.
I have to agree with this, too. There isn't an Asian I know that wishes they weren't Asian. However, in some circles, narrow eyes are considered unattractive, while larger, eyes are considered cute. I have also seen black color contacts that are supposed to make your pupils look huge, giving an "anime" look. That, too, has nothing to do with looking like caucasians.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

01-21-2008, 05:02 AM

I think their eyes look a bit Asian sometimes.
I also read this Tezuka manga and it looked VERY Mickey-Mouse, so the way manga is drawn and anime is made today has morphed from one popular style to another. Things evolve.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Cyasarin (Offline)
Surfer.Chic [no cold! =D]

Send a message via MSN to Cyasarin Send a message via Yahoo to Cyasarin
01-21-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have to agree with this, too. There isn't an Asian I know that wishes they weren't Asian. However, in some circles, narrow eyes are considered unattractive, while larger, eyes are considered cute. I have also seen black color contacts that are supposed to make your pupils look huge, giving an "anime" look. That, too, has nothing to do with looking like caucasians.
I agree with you both that it might not have to do with not wanting to be Asian and it's more likely that people simply want bigger eyes. My friend has very narrow, squinty, brown eyes and I have these huge, round, blue eyes that just pop and she's always telling me how she wishes that she had my eyes. So, yeah, it might not be that they don't want to look Asian...
But yeah...about the topic. I agree with some other people on here that it's not because Japanese people want to be American and it's more about the style of their art and to show emotions better. I mean, it'd take me a gazillion tries to draw an Asian-looking person with my style and I think it's much easier to show a character's emotions if their eyes are bigger.

+ Summer '08 +
[[cause it's gonna be hot]]
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SailorBratt18 (Offline)
grrrr to you too buddy!

01-21-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaymeRachael View Post
Who would want to become American anyways! >_<'

^_^
Ouch! That hurt! You might want to watch what you say though. I could care less because I know that America rocks but I do know there is a substantial amount of Americans on this site that might not like the comment you stated above.

Anywho! I just want to say that Anime Kitty and MMM's arguments are very funny and informing. (just thought I'd put that out there)

In answer to the question, I believe that the reason why the skin color of anime/manga characters is "white" is because of the "geisha mind factor." (that is totally made up since I seem to be lacking in words today) When you think about it, traditional Japanese culture encouraged the powdering of one self (same as Europeans and Americans). Why this is, I know not. I just know that many women had the white powder and all the other makeup and in the end they came out looking white. So maybe that's where it comes from. I don't know, it's just one of my crazy theories. I really have no idea. -.-'

as small as a world and as large as alone

~+MeMbEr Of ThE VaMpIrE cLaN+~