JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   PAPRIKA...Confusing? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/14772-paprika-confusing.html)

Ultraseven 04-20-2008 12:21 PM

PAPRIKA...Confusing?

Watched Satoshi Kon's PAPRIKA last night. Looked amazing visually, but had a very confusing storyline. Did any one else have trouble understanding this movie, or is it just me? :confused:

Henbaka 04-20-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultraseven (Post 466326)
Watched Satoshi Kon's PAPRIKA last night. Looked amazing visually, but had a very confusing storyline. Did any one else have trouble understanding this movie, or is it just me? :confused:

Haha. Yeah, this is a confusing-ass movie, which is also why I love it ;)

I think it's meant to be weird and very open for interpretation etc. It's about dreams coming true after all, and we all know how weird dreams can be...

Ultraseven 04-20-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henbaka (Post 466402)
Haha. Yeah, this is a confusing-ass movie, which is also why I love it ;)

I think it's meant to be weird and very open for interpretation etc. It's about dreams coming true after all, and we all know how weird dreams can be...

You're right. I still enjoyed the film (as I have all of Kon Satoshi's so far) despite its 'confusing' plot. Actually, I prefer films to be a little surreal as they tend to be less predictable, make you think and are generally more memorable (I certainly won't forget Paprika in a hurry!).

ILOVEJAPAN 04-21-2008 06:51 PM

I couldn't really understand this movie very well. I thought it was because when I orderd it from Ondemand the subtitles were really hard to read and the didn't have the dubed version. Anyway, I agree that the visuals were excelent, and I really like how it had elements of almost all his previous works. The characters and imagery was clearly intentionaly reminicent of Perfect Blue, Milenium Actress, and Paranoia Agent. Possibaly also works that I havent yet seen like Tokyo Godfathers.

Ultraseven 04-22-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN (Post 468138)
I couldn't really understand this movie very well. I thought it was because when I orderd it from Ondemand the subtitles were really hard to read and the didn't have the dubed version. Anyway, I agree that the visuals were excelent, and I really like how it had elements of almost all his previous works. The characters and imagery was clearly intentionaly reminicent of Perfect Blue, Milenium Actress, and Paranoia Agent. Possibaly also works that I havent yet seen like Tokyo Godfathers.

Did anyone notice at the movie theatre at the end, posters were on display of the directors previous films Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue?

Cool!

ILOVEJAPAN 04-22-2008 07:13 PM

I noticed! There were so many reffrences to all his works it was really cool. Like a summery of all his work thrown together as something really trippy and insane.

Ultraseven 04-23-2008 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN (Post 469300)
I noticed! There were so many reffrences to all his works it was really cool. Like a summery of all his work thrown together as something really trippy and insane.

Well spotted, lots of people miss that one!

This actually happened in the theatre we went to >>>

ILOVEJAPAN 04-24-2008 12:33 AM

well...Ummm...only if you were stoned out of your mind :D

Aota 04-24-2008 01:43 AM

I read a review someone had said about Paprika (been watching it a lot myself), where the guy said that Paprika "isn't a movie that's meant to be understood so much as simply experienced - or maybe dreamed." I couldn't agree with this more. :)

Also, wanting to add, is Tokyo Godfathers any good? I was at first turned away by the drag queen for some odd reason, but now that I've seen Paprika and Perfect Blue, I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't at least rent it.

Ultraseven 04-24-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aota (Post 471011)
I read a review someone had said about Paprika (been watching it a lot myself), where the guy said that Paprika "isn't a movie that's meant to be understood so much as simply experienced - or maybe dreamed." I couldn't agree with this more. :)

Also, wanting to add, is Tokyo Godfathers any good? I was at first turned away by the drag queen for some odd reason, but now that I've seen Paprika and Perfect Blue, I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't at least rent it.

TOKYO GODFATHERS is very funny, and one I have re-watched several times
(and somehow never seems to become less funny).

I bought the DVD just because the cover looked interesting, and the title suggested some sort of Tokyo Crime/Yakuza theme. How wrong I was...