JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Have you read any Japanese fiction?
No, just anime and manga for me. 37 49.33%
Yes, I have read at least one light novel. 6 8.00%
Yes, I have read at least one non-manga related novel 17 22.67%
Yes, I'll read translated light novels, novels, non-fiction... 15 20.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Japanese fiction - 07-15-2008, 02:57 AM

We all watch the anime and read the manga, but have you ever read any Japanese fiction translated from Japanese?

I just read a sort-of middle-aged love story that was very sad and moving. It is titled Translucent Tree and is probably not directed at most JF readers, but my next one will be Maid Machinegun about an aspiring maid cafe worker.

Anyway, have you tried any novels, light novels or non-fiction translated from Japanese.

Last edited by MMM : 07-22-2008 at 06:12 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
reihiino (Offline)
The North Remembers

07-15-2008, 03:41 AM

Haruki Murakami-the Wind Up Bird Chronicles. Very brutal but so damn good. I must read all his novels!!

s the 10th doctor
s Verbal & Taku
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
07-15-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihiino View Post
Haruki Murakami-the Wind Up Bird Chronicles. Very brutal but so damn good. I must read all his novels!!
I just finished one of his works too! After the Quake. I really like his style.

~Genauso wie du~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-15-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogamer77 View Post
I just finished one of his works too! After the Quake. I really like his style.
I like Haruki Murakami a lot, too. I think "After the Quake" was the first book of his I read.

If you like things a little darker, try Ryo Murakami (same last name, but no relation).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-15-2008, 07:29 AM

I've never read any Japanese fiction stories outside of manga since those are more vast, seemingly, than light novels. Any recommendations of some that's maybe fantasy based that does have an English translation?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I've never read any Japanese fiction stories outside of manga since those are more vast, seemingly, than light novels. Any recommendations of some that's maybe fantasy based that does have an English translation?
"The Guin Saga" is awesome. I like the fiction novels better than the manga, really (they are unreleted in terms of story) and the Guin Saga just started coming out on paperback.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
"The Guin Saga" is awesome. I like the fiction novels better than the manga, really (they are unreleted in terms of story) and the Guin Saga just started coming out on paperback.
If I'm not mistaken, there was another topic about novels. I've been pretty interested, but as I mentioned, just never come across any. I only know of an anime-based novel (Digimon Adventure) and I like that way more than what the anime and manga put out for it. Too bad the only way I can read it, is if someone translates it, and the person who was doing so, has become so busy with real-life stuff that she hasn't updated it in months. It has to be extremely time-consuming.

That aside, I'll look for Guin Saga. Thanks for the suggestion.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, there was another topic about novels. I've been pretty interested, but as I mentioned, just never come across any. I only know of an anime-based novel (Digimon Adventure) and I like that way more than what the anime and manga put out for it. Too bad the only way I can read it, is if someone translates it, and the person who was doing so, has become so busy with real-life stuff that she hasn't updated it in months. It has to be extremely time-consuming.

That aside, I'll look for Guin Saga. Thanks for the suggestion.
I think the other topic was just about light novels, but here I wanted to include plain Japanese (non-manga related) fiction, too.

Crimson Labryinth is a pretty cool book about a sort of "Battle Royale" Survivor game . I enjoyed that one a lot.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

07-16-2008, 02:44 AM

now that I think of it... I dont think i have, except for short stories in some japanese textbooks
oh and the time I attempted to read フランダーズの犬

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-16-2008, 03:34 AM

I just started reading "Maid Machinegun" tonight.

I bet a lot of JF'ers will like this one...