LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I think the story with Anime isn't the same as music. In most countries, you are legally allowed to record whatever comes on tv and there is nothing stopping you from sharing with friends etc. However, you are not allowed to sell whatever you record. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most fan subs or animes online have already appeared on tv in Japan right? So, considering that, there is absolutely no difference to the anime companies because downloading it with fan sub or waiting a year to watch it on tv comes to the same thing. The only thing I can see being a problem is if people download it and don't watch it on TV which would end up with TV channels not showing these programs anymore. This of course is doubtful. Most people that download an anime still watch it on TV anyway simply because it's been months and months since they saw it.

So the way I see it is; downloading the series is bad only when it stops someone from buying the episiodes/series/movie. But most of us (who are not fanatics about anime), wait until it comes on TV in our country so it doesn't change much...
No one mentioned music. There is nothing wrong with recording a TV show in Japan and then posting it for DL in America (let's say) on the Internet UNLESS that show has been licensced by an American distributor. I download a lot of Japanese TV shows (mostly variety shows) that are unavailable and unlicensed in the US. Once the show is licensced, then the activity becomes illegal, as you are taking something from advertisers and potential DVD sales.

We agree, Noodle, it is those that download instead of purchase that hurt the industry.

It is not the publishers, who have the legal right to distribute the material, who are posting the DLs, so they have every right to send S&D letters to sites that do.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Oh, in response to something MMM said...I know for a fact, that if I hadn't been pointed out to watch Suzimiya Haruhi no Yuutsu as a fansub (way before it was even thought of to be licensed), I probably wouldn't have even known about it, like a lot of "newer" series. I'm more of a manga person and keep up with those, not necessarily anime, and seeing as I'm pretty much the only one around her who likes the stuff, 'cept for one other person I know of, it's easy for me not to know of stuff. I just found out from this person that there's a newer Slayers series out now. He watches the fansubs of it, but knowing him, he'll probably get them on DVD when (or if) it comes out.

I still feel that fansubs can be a good thing. It does make wanting to own it helpful and I figured that most would buy it, if possible, anyway. I still would like to buy and own the Deathnote anime someday since I enjoyed watching its fansub a year, or so, ago.Makes sense in theory. I'm not a big anime fanatic, but, I will admit, I do watch Naruto online since I started with it before it ever had a dub. For that, it's more of a habit to watch anyway. I don't like its dub much, but at the same time, I don't like the series enough to ever want to own it.

I know years ago, I used to watch fansubs of Inuyasha, but once it got a dub, I'd tape those episodes and watch them, up to a point (same with the fansubs), since I actually grew bored of the series.

That aside, you do seem right here. It does seem to be about the same; watching a fansub of a series or just waiting a year, or so, to watch it in our home countries on television, but even then, there's no guarantee it'll end up on television in the first place.

Again, I know it is tricky. If anime flowed from fountains then American publishers wouldn't give a crap, but those publishers are dying, literally the companies have either gone bankrupt or are in real dire financial straits, so they are doing what they can to protect the distribution of their product...just like every other media outlet in the world.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-17-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Again, I know it is tricky. If anime flowed from fountains then American publishers wouldn't give a crap, but those publishers are dying, literally the companies have either gone bankrupt or are in real dire financial straits, so they are doing what they can to protect the distribution of their product...just like every other media outlet in the world.
I just wish, personally, that we had more options to view these series once they do become licensed, but, then again, seems that the mainstream stuff, is the stuff that I, personally, don't like enough to want or can't fully get into in general. Seems it takes a lot for me anime wise, but not manga wise. Odd, I know. I just wish we had the option of watching subbed series or dubbed, like one would if owning it on DVD, on television, that is if I decided to watch something on television.

I do know that I wouldn't mind Pokemon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher on DVD...well, some. I'd like first and second season Pokemon (with subs), first season Digimon (with subs), and all of Monster Rancher, but I wouldn't hold my breath for these.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-17-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
No one mentioned music. There is nothing wrong with recording a TV show in Japan and then posting it for DL in America (let's say) on the Internet UNLESS that show has been licensced by an American distributor. I download a lot of Japanese TV shows (mostly variety shows) that are unavailable and unlicensed in the US. Once the show is licensced, then the activity becomes illegal, as you are taking something from advertisers and potential DVD sales.
I used to download both Music Station and Hey! Hey! Hey! up to a point, but I just got too far behind with those shows. lol I'm also behind the times with the current music too. Can't seem to get into most of the newer stuff.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I just wish, personally, that we had more options to view these series once they do become licensed, but, then again, seems that the mainstream stuff, is the stuff that I, personally, don't like enough to want or can't fully get into in general. Seems it takes a lot for me anime wise, but not manga wise. Odd, I know. I just wish we had the option of watching subbed series or dubbed, like one would if owning it on DVD, on television, that is if I decided to watch something on television.

I do know that I wouldn't mind Pokemon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher on DVD...well, some. I'd like first and second season Pokemon (with subs), first season Digimon (with subs), and all of Monster Rancher, but I wouldn't hold my breath for these.
Of course...we all wish we had better ways to see this stuff.

And isn't Pokemon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher pretty mainstream?

Part of it is (no offense) those titles appeal to a young audience that doesn't buy DVDs in the same way a collector might.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I used to download both Music Station and Hey! Hey! Hey! up to a point, but I just got too far behind with those shows. lol I'm also behind the times with the current music too. Can't seem to get into most of the newer stuff.
I DL Hey Hey Hey because I like the hosts. It's pretty funny no matter what musical guests are on.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-17-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I am more understanding for people that don't have titles released in their countries. 'Shakugan no Shana' isn't out in English yet.
I'd ride with that. I don't have a problem buying the products by legitimate means, but if it isn't available in my country and isn't subbed, I'm liable to break the rules. This, of course, mainly applying to TV shows.

Btw, Hey! Hey! Hey! and Gaki no Tsukai are the best.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 08-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-17-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
We agree, Noodle, it is those that download instead of purchase that hurt the industry.
Yeah, we do agree... That post wasn't aimed at anyone or debating anything anyone said in particular... I just thought I'd add it in to give my opinion on the matter...
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Of course...we all wish we had better ways to see this stuff.

And isn't Pokemon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher pretty mainstream?

Part of it is (no offense) those titles appeal to a young audience that doesn't buy DVDs in the same way a collector might.
I'd say Pokemon is more mainstream than the other two series. I did like them though. I have all of season 1 of Digimon Adventure on VHS that I got years ago, but it's raw. I just really liked it. As for Monster Rancher, I was never under the impression that it was very popular. To be honest, I just wouldn't mind seeing it again and as for originals, just curious as to what it was like.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I DL Hey Hey Hey because I like the hosts. It's pretty funny no matter what musical guests are on.
I like them too...I just wish I understood them better. ^^

Last ep I saw of Hey!x3 was January of last year. lol I remember when we had the International Channel, and how they'd show it on there (along with subtitled or raw anime). That was how I got exposure to the show in the first place.