LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
So it's purely semantics, a way of categorizing.
Exactly. It's a word that means nothing to most of the world, and a lot to a tiny slice.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Exactly. It's a word that means nothing to most of the world, and a lot to a tiny slice.
O.K. I understand. when I talk about guitar I say I play classical. follow-up with south american classical. People look slack faced and say nothing. It is a distinction that is important only to enthusiasts.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
O.K. I understand. when I talk about guitar I say I play classical. follow-up with south american classical. People look slack faced and say nothing. It is a distinction that is important only to enthusiasts.
Though do you get a lot of non-south-americans claiming their tunes are true south-american?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Though do you get a lot of non-south-americans claiming their tunes are true south-american?
Most of the stuff was compsed late in the 1800's or early in the 1900's. If it's from south america, you usually know the composers and are sure they are where they are from. When musicians play flamenco (usually a phony jazzy light version) and they are not form spain and not at all gypsy, I say it's not flamenco. So I guess it's the same as Manga. Real flamenco is from spain, other stuff is imitation.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-13-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
So I guess it's the same as Manga. Real flamenco is from spain, other stuff is imitation.
I can't think of a better comparison.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
mangafreak (Offline)
EAT THE CAKE!

star trek - 11-13-2008, 10:44 PM

I've always been a star wars kind of person when it comes to Sci-fi, but my dad has all the star trek movies...I didn't know they made a manga, though. Okay, I just feel the need to say this since this is science fiction related, but it really bugs me when people immediately refer to anything like star trek or such as "nerdy" or weird . They probably have never even watched any of the movies, so how would they know?