JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Taranee987 Send a message via Yahoo to Taranee987 Send a message via Skype™ to Taranee987
Can the content in Anime/Manga be used as a subject\discussion in school? - 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM

What i mean is i know you can learn a lot from anime\manga but is the content\plot in anime manga good enough to be used in school

example: Death Note -psychology
Inuyasha
Mononoke Hime
Spirited Away

From these you can learn about Japanese culture and History

this is a kind of sequel to my other post can you learn something from anime\manga

Are you nice to people they usually are nice back
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Yeah, if you want to get picked on. lol

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Crani (Offline)
Sillyassauros

Send a message via MSN to Crani
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM

If you don't mind being called a nerd, ya, take Perfect Blue for example, you can talk about obssesion or appearences. You talked about D.N that's a good one to talk about you can talk about a lot of the psycological aspects surrounding power.

Natural Born Headbanger
\m/

TAG Game
Score: Crani:51
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Taranee987 Send a message via Yahoo to Taranee987 Send a message via Skype™ to Taranee987
02-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crani View Post
If you don't mind being called a nerd, ya, take Perfect Blue for example, you can talk about obssesion or appearences. You talked about D.N that's a good one to talk about you can talk about a lot of the psycological aspects surrounding power.
i'm allready a nerd, besides since i have read and watched manga\anime for the past 3 years I really think that you can learn more fro manga\anime then regular text books at a certain point

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-06-2009, 08:10 PM

It could be helpful if in discussing anime/manga references you could connect it somehow with more widely-known references from books or media. Because I'm sure that if you put forward only anime/manga references in illustrating psychological concepts, etc. you'll get quite a lot of "Hurr hurr, anime is for kids, you're an idiot, hurr hurr, I'm better than you" responses from the peanut gallery...

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranee987 View Post
What i mean is i know you can learn a lot from anime\manga but is the content\plot in anime manga good enough to be used in school

example: Death Note -psychology
Inuyasha
Mononoke Hime
Spirited Away

From these you can learn about Japanese culture and History

this is a kind of sequel to my other post can you learn something from anime\manga
In short, No. There is no history and little culture to be learned from any of those titles. That's a little like learning American history and culture from watching Star Wars.

Last edited by MMM : 02-06-2009 at 10:21 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

Unless you're taking Japanese class I don't think Anime/Manga serves any purpose considering it's FICTIONAL. And even the stuff based on true history is over-dramatized and not necessarily, well, true.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
peterv20 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2009, 07:07 PM

as an elementary teacher i give lessons on the history,technical history and story telling that animation has to offer.that's all animation.stop motion,drawing ,cells...anime from all over the world.i do think japanese anime is the best.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I really think that you can learn more fro manga\anime then regular text books at a certain point
I watched a lot of anime, it made me interested in Japanese History, it made me interested in Eastern Philosophy and religions, and so it led to me reading books on the subject. I think anime is great for doing that. But your text books must be pretty rubbish if you learnt more from the anime.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I watched a lot of anime, it made me interested in Japanese History, it made me interested in Eastern Philosophy and religions, and so it led to me reading books on the subject. I think anime is great for doing that. But your text books must be pretty rubbish if you learnt more from the anime.
actually i learned more from wacthing documentaries when i was 3-4 years old then i ever did in school. i learned more from the net, anime and manga, and when we actually had an intresting subject in school i already knew about it, and yeah most of my text books were rubbish