JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

Western-Style Anime Convention in Japan? - 02-08-2009, 07:06 AM

This is directed at gaikokujin anime fans already living in Japan, but discussion in general is welcome if you have something truly relevant to add. Please note weeaboo is a somewhat derisive nickname for western anime fans along the same lines at the original meaning of otaku. I consider myself weeaboo, it is certainly not meant to give any more offense than otaku, but rather to draw a contrast between western anime fans and Japanese anime fans. In Japan, such a distinction is often needed.

Some of the weeaboo I know have been tossing around the idea we would like to start an anime convention following the model, initially, of anime conventions in America, Canada, Europe, and Oz. The con would start rather small and be mostly focused at weeaboo gaijin who rather miss being able to attend one in their home country, considering the cost of travel. It will most likely take place in Tokyo. It will most like contain cosplay and artist alley events/areas which will also hopefully be interesting to Japanese fans. While my contacts in Tokyo are limited, personally, others have contacts there. I have contacts with the Kyoto International Manga Museum and elsewhere in Kansai. Start up capital should be kept as low as possible, but likely isn't an issue. Those involved have experience starting and running American cons already.

How likely is this to interest weaboo gaijin? How likely is this to interest Japanese otaku?

Again directed mostly at those, like myself, who live in Japan already.