JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Sblegach (Offline)
you gonna eat that?

Send a message via AIM to Sblegach Send a message via MSN to Sblegach
08-21-2009, 02:04 AM

Hmm, it would probably have to be the art, and the witty comedy that most american comics dont have >_> they all go for the obvious comedy. In some cases yeah its funny, if you make it big enough, but for the most part it sucks.

Mada Mada Dane

Pyon!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
08-22-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
I like anime and manga because it has a different feel to it. It reflects a different culture and represents their ideas of humor, love, and adventure. When I first started watching them (started with Trigun) there were alien gestures, strange voice nuances, a very appealing character design standard, and humor that we do not use in America (as well as the lack of humor that we do). I loved the culture shock (I was shocked to see breasts in an anime clearly for kids when I saw Ranma 1/2... now I think nothing of it! Of course such acceptance in Japan has changed in recent years. ). Anime was also allowed to tread where American animations were not (this is certainly changing).

However, I do not necessarily feel there is more intelligence added to them. And not all animes are made equal. There are incredibly repetitious animes. And there are more copy-cat animes than I can count. Some genres are so cookie-cut it's kinda funny (there are way too many similar looking high school guys... of course they usually don't get the option of various hair styles or colors). Some are so empty that it pains me that they even animated it (possibly from a MUCH better manga). And some jokes are so recycled that you can see them coming before they happen!

Of course there are incredible gems amongst them. There are animes that have brought out more emotion in me than any American animation I've seen (think animations from Key). There are ones that make me laugh all the time (lots of them). There are ones where that awesome unlikely comeback makes you feel good to be watching it (first time I saw one was the Frieza battle in DBZ where you first see Super Sayian).

As for the fan-service that is ubiquitous throughout anime and not found in American animations... I don't mind that either .
America is really behind with the animation stuff in general. Sure they make some great movies and all, but it's usually the same thing over and over again. And it's just boring to me. You never get bored with anime and manga because it's always different no matter how many stories or shows are made. That I can get into.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

08-22-2009, 04:25 AM

the art style and the plots, its so different from other cartoons its got a plot and a meaning, and the art is really pretty.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

08-22-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcuteness View Post
the art style and the plots, its so different from other cartoons its got a plot and a meaning, and the art is really pretty.
Yes the art is very pretty.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Thresk (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Thresk
08-22-2009, 08:09 AM

for me, the design of anime is just more appealing. I don't know why but i don't like the shapes of the heads and bodies etc in most american comics, and the colour scheme looks strange to me. But also because i find that a lot of anim aren't just comedy based or thriller, but theres actually a storyline which goes somewhere. I hate the ones that are just random episodes that aren't really connected.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

08-31-2009, 02:44 AM

I hate that too. The storyline needs to be connected or else i can't get into it.

Last edited by Miyavifan : 09-04-2009 at 12:10 AM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

09-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
America is really behind with the animation stuff in general. Sure they make some great movies and all, but it's usually the same thing over and over again. And it's just boring to me. You never get bored with anime and manga because it's always different no matter how many stories or shows are made. That I can get into.
Actually, anime is very much the same thing over and over again. More so than nearly any other type of entertainment I've seen. It doesn't take much looking to find that there is are much used formulas for character design in personality and look. Notice how similar in anime that facial and body expressions (everyone should know this), general stories (like school animes), character design (which makes an anime look like anime), etc. Of course some stand out really well because of this (Ghibly for example).

However! What they've managed to do in anime is find a very attractive style (general anime style) and an attitude formula that people are really attracted to. They stumbled upon something that is easy to watch again and again. Anime mainly keeps that basic attractive formula and then adds a slight twist to make it unique.

I really enjoy anime. But if you start to analyze it, you'll see what you are enjoying. It's not a bad thing, but I won't call anime a different experience every time.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

09-03-2009, 11:08 PM

I can. Sure it's somewhat the same plot everytime, but there's always a very different twist to it. So in a way, all animes are different from each other. Just a bit.

Last edited by Miyavifan : 09-04-2009 at 12:10 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
chelolin (Offline)
New to JF

09-06-2009, 04:14 PM

I just love the style, and the different kinds of stories. I just love it xD
I love to watch Anime as much as I love reading manga. And I just...realized it one day xD LOL.

Dancing, dancing and dancing
to make you fall asleep
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Avi (Offline)
JF Regular

09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

As far as plot goes:
A great plot build up
Epic fights (If an action story)
Strong character build up
Mature scenes, not.. candy-landish. (Ex. Monster, Shamo, Shin Agyo Onshi)

That's what I like =)