(#91 (permalink))
Old
FeyOberon (Offline)
JF Regular

08-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
What?! its not a happy ending!!!!?
Hahaha! That story is so depressing! My mom read it to us when we were little kids . . . .

Also, in the original Hans Christian Anderson's "Little Mermaid," although the sea witch gives the mermaid feet and legs, walking hurts her feet as if she were walking on broken glass.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 05:33 PM

... But I love Family Guy.

It's hilarious. It makes fun of the way some people think. It's a very complex and difficult thing to do - to pull off sarcasm and satire and give the message that the writers really don't think that way. For example, there's an episode when Stewie wants to tell a racist joke. First, he looks around to see if there are any black people around. He then runs outside - across the city - and when he goes back and starts the joke, a black man pops out of the flower pot. It makes fun of people who tell racist jokes, and try to make sure that no one is around before they tell it - and then awkwardly try to cover it up.

It reminds me a lot of Sacha Baron Cohen's work, actually.

So yeah. Family Guy seems stupid and obnoxious, but it's actually well thought out, complex, and hilarious. To me, anyway.

(Also, the episode where Stewie kills Lois? Pure brilliance.)

LOVE: pass it on
(#93 (permalink))
Old
kentana (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kentana Send a message via Skype™ to kentana
japan - 08-28-2009, 08:55 PM

I think that Japanese companies are better than Disney

my life..my dream..my world..my love
(#94 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
... But I love Family Guy.

It's hilarious. It makes fun of the way some people think. It's a very complex and difficult thing to do - to pull off sarcasm and satire and give the message that the writers really don't think that way. For example, there's an episode when Stewie wants to tell a racist joke. First, he looks around to see if there are any black people around. He then runs outside - across the city - and when he goes back and starts the joke, a black man pops out of the flower pot. It makes fun of people who tell racist jokes, and try to make sure that no one is around before they tell it - and then awkwardly try to cover it up.

It reminds me a lot of Sacha Baron Cohen's work, actually.

So yeah. Family Guy seems stupid and obnoxious, but it's actually well thought out, complex, and hilarious. To me, anyway.

(Also, the episode where Stewie kills Lois? Pure brilliance.)
That sounds hilarious! On that topic, it seems to me as if someone either likes Family Guy or South Park, or at least what I've gathered from people that I have asked. For me it's the latter.

As much as I love Pixar and Disney, they still release only animated family films. Sometimes I feel like watching something with a serious plotline or psychological undertones and I can't really get that in America. Even though I love South Park, I'll have to go with Japanese animation.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
That sounds hilarious! On that topic, it seems to me as if someone either likes Family Guy or South Park, or at least what I've gathered from people that I have asked. For me it's the latter.

As much as I love Pixar and Disney, they still release only animated family films. Sometimes I feel like watching something with a serious plotline or psychological undertones and I can't really get that in America. Even though I love South Park, I'll have to go with Japanese animation.
Your saying Pixar doesnt have deep and interesting story lines? Thats all Pixar does. Pixar movies have some of the deepest stories.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Your saying Pixar doesnt have deep and interesting story lines? Thats all Pixar does. Pixar movies have some of the deepest stories.
I knew someone would read it like that... I'll put it simply then. As much as I love their animated movies, I prefer storylines with more mature material.
(#97 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
I knew someone would read it like that... I'll put it simply then. As much as I love their animated movies, I prefer storylines with more mature material.
Im not trying to nit pick really.. I just want to know lol. When you say mature do you mean vulgar words and violence. Because many pixar movies such as Up and Wall-E have very adult stories and content.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#98 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Im not trying to nit pick really.. I just want to know lol. When you say mature do you mean vulgar words and violence. Because many pixar movies such as Up and Wall-E have very adult stories and content.
Not so much vulgarities or violence, as it really irritates me to see it inserted into a show with a crowbar (when it is unnecessary), but shows that handle mature topics with character you certainly would not see in a Disney or Pixar production. Shows such as Death Note, Monster, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc.
(#99 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-29-2009, 01:23 AM

You have to realize Pixar is trying to appeal to a large audiance so they make movies that are a little bit of everything, they just happen to be really good and tieing them together. Much of the anime would only work to a select audiance reguardless. The stories, while mature, may not appeal to everyone.

I liked Elfin Lied, but I know for a fact my mother would hate it, and not because it was a cartoon either.
(#100 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-29-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
You have to realize Pixar is trying to appeal to a large audiance so they make movies that are a little bit of everything, they just happen to be really good and tieing them together.
I totally understand that, and it doesn't stop me from going out to see one of their new movies. I prefer Japanese animation because there is pretty much always something for someone.

Quote:
I liked Elfin Lied, but I know for a fact my mother would hate it, and not because it was a cartoon either.
I watched the first episode, and that was it for me. Too much nudity and gore for my taste