LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
As far as I know Viz is only for USA. The scans they do are not yet licensed to Viz, so they are not 'stealing' (you're clearly trolling) from Viz.
No, this is big news in the "manga world" today.

Iphantom, did you read the link at the top of the first post?

I am unsure as to whether or not you are familiar with our website, so I will give you a brief introduction. ******* is, for all intents and purposes, a very large international community (Asian, European, US and South American) dedicated to the promotion and appreciation of not just one or two IPs and brands currently owned by Viz Media, but dozens.

They certainly are licensed in the US, the guy admits it right there.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM

The link above isn't available to me... country restrictions?

Anyway, big news? Who cares about MangaHelpers. I never used them. MangaShare is much better imo and MS terms state that manga is removed immediately on request.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The link above isn't available to me... country restrictions?

Anyway, big news? Who cares about MangaHelpers. I never used them. MangaShare is much better imo and MS terms state that manga is removed immediately on request.
Here is the content of the email that was to be sent out to Viz, but apparently leaked prior.

uI hope this email finds you well, and that I am contacting the right person.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Christopher Carter, and I am one of the owners of a leading online manga fan community.

I am writing this email to you for a few reasons. First and foremost, the timing of this email stems from the recent announcement about Viz' online magazine, Ikki, as described in this link: VIZ Debuts IKKI, New Online-Only Manga Magazine

The second reason for writing this email is more directly related to Viz' IPs and Brands, and how they relate to our website and community. Allow me to elaborate with a little bit of back story.

I am sure that by now, most everyone at Viz including yourself are aware of the huge online market for manga distribution. The numerous online manga readers such as OneManga, MangaFox and MangaHut serve as a great testament to this fact, despite their main focal point of English language manga. I am also sure that I do not need to go into detail about the 'grey-area' legality of such websites, and how this is currently a market share which, to the best of my knowledge - correct me if I'm wrong, Viz holds very little control and monetisation over.

This is where the relevance of our Manga Website comes into play. As mentioned previously, I am one of the co-owners of a Manga Community website; namely MangaHelpers.com. I am unsure as to whether or not you are familiar with our website, so I will give you a brief introduction. MangaHelpers is, for all intents and purposes, a very large international community (Asian, European, US and South American) dedicated to the promotion and appreciation of not just one or two IPs and brands currently owned by Viz Media, but dozens.

Our website came into existance originally as a forum community dedicated to translating manga from japanese into international languages due to the problems associated with print edition distribution and localisation of Japanese Manga series. In short; the speed of which Manga became available and readable to an international audience was so far behind the desire and demand of the market. Over the years we have grown from being just a translating resource, to an all out international manga community servicing dozens of brands and series on a weekly basis. Our goal, in it's purest form, is to make manga available to all fans around the world at the same speed which it is released in Japan; much like the goal of Viz Media itself.

The only problem is; we are operating independently and in a manner that does not directly (read financially) benefit Viz media outside of the social and viral marketing/PR and exposure a reputable website like ours carry. This is something that we, the four owners of the website, have been discussing internally for a long time on how to change. It has now come to the point where our resources, our strategies and planning, and our capabilities both technologically and creatively, all point in one logical direction: Co-operation with Viz Media itself.

MangaHelpers as a website is considered by many as _the_ greatest and most notable manga community in the world. We reach millions of visitors worldwide, and from there the happenings and activities of our members spread to virtually every manga fan site on the net which deals in online manga. Yes, even OneManga, MangaFox and MangaHut retrieve both volunteers/staff and member submissions from our community. We would like to think that over the years, we have served an integral yet unofficial role in making Manga brands known and appreciated on a global basis. It is through this indirect cooperation that we got the idea; why not go all the way?

It is true; there is a large market out there which is outside Viz' current reach. Our website, for better or worse, is at the center of this market. Anyone who has been following online trends recently will have noticed the success of online business models such as subscription and microtransactions in regards to gaming brands and IPs. These business models can easily be transferred to the Manga market, and we believe we have one of the most innovative and best approaches on the net for this. This is where partnering with Viz comes into play.

Our thought process is simple; Viz gets direct influence and control over the 3rd party market by teaming up with a reputable, stable and well liked online resource such as us, and we get to work with, develop and help promote something every one of us has a genuine passion and appreciation for. We have many valuable resources to offer; from global exposure and marketing possibilities to business models (advertisement sponsored, subscription, and microtransaction based digital distribution of online manga) that could potentially give Viz a very large newfound revenue source, to the hundreds of (professional) translators and image cleaners/typesetters who already publish their work at MangaHelpers for free; there are lots of possibilities and potential business ventures to be found. We even have the web framework for distribution and publishing of fanlations in place!

It is our opinion, and hopefully yours, that mutually beneficial partnerships like this at least deserve a deeper looking into.

I apologize for the lengthyness of this email though I hope what I have written has spiked your interest, at least to some extent. We are very interested in hearing your thoughts (and possibly concerns) in regards to the "wall of text" that is written above.

With that, I will conclude this email in hopes to hear back from you soon,

The funny thing is the scanlators are angry that it appears this site would be trying to make money of "their work" when 1) the work never belonged to them in the first place and 2) concern about paying the creators for their work never crossed their minds before.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

09-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Seems like its impossible (for now) to stop scanlations. You down one, and ten will merge. So its pretty much irrelevant to partnership or not to with MangaHelpers or any other "ripper" out there. There are countless websites with free translation and even more to come... Making it pointless to associate with "one of the big ones".

You publish it? They scan and translate it.
You make it digitalized? They crack it and translate it.
You make it theatrical? They gypsy-film it and translate it.

Piracy will always exists, even more now with this new technologies. Unless this "world" called Internet gets a better protection, things will remain the same.

Options? Better control on searching engines. (such as Google, etc)
By better i mean "hide" or "omit" everything illigal from the public.

Would not solve the problem, but hell it would make some difference.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 09-25-2009 at 01:45 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Seems like its impossible (for now) to stop scanlations. You down one, and ten will merge. So its pretty much irrelevant to partnership or not to with MangaHelpers or any other "ripper" out there. There are countless websites with free translation and even more to come... Making it pointless to associate with "one of the big ones".

You publish it? They scan and translate it.
You make it digitalized? They crack it and translate it.
You make it theatrical? They gypsy-film it and translate it.

Piracy will always exists, even more now with this new technologies. Unless this "world" called Internet gets a better protection, things will remain the same.

Options? Better control on searching engines. (such as Google, etc)
By better i mean "hide" or "omit" everything illigal from the public.

Would not solve the problem, but hell it would make some difference.
You can't really censor the words used for piracy, since the means used are legal, its the data that's being obtained that's illegal. A torrent by itself is perfectly legal, and can be used to share legitimate data; it just so happens to be the tool of choice for a lot of pirates.

"Omitting" it from a search would be like me telling the world we should boycott boats - after all, people use them to smuggle in drugs. Or a complete ban on firearms - who cares if people use them for legitimate hunting, people hurt others with them!

I'm not saying I agree with piracy, but censorship is dangerous territory. Unfortunately, its one of the only 'real' ways to 'police' the internet at this juncture.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

09-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
You can't really censor the words used for piracy, since the means used are legal, its the data that's being obtained that's illegal. A torrent by itself is perfectly legal, and can be used to share legitimate data; it just so happens to be the tool of choice for a lot of pirates.

"Omitting" it from a search would be like me telling the world we should boycott boats - after all, people use them to smuggle in drugs. Or a complete ban on firearms - who cares if people use them for legitimate hunting, people hurt others with them!

I'm not saying I agree with piracy, but censorship is dangerous territory. Unfortunately, its one of the only 'real' ways to 'police' the internet at this juncture.
Well, considering more than "half" of those "boats" carry "drugs", yes. (If you know what i mean by that methaphore)

Until better measures can be taken, yes.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
09-25-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The funny thing is the scanlators are angry that it appears this site would be trying to make money of "their work" when 1) the work never belonged to them in the first place and 2) concern about paying the creators for their work never crossed their minds before.
I'd agree with them, but not because they are right. It's because MangaHelpers has been the same as them, illegal. Why should they waste their time in order to feed MH with money?

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I'd agree with them, but not because they are right. It's because MangaHelpers has been the same as them, illegal. Why should they waste their time in order to feed MH with money?
The same as who? I don't understand what you are saying here.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The same as who? I don't understand what you are saying here.
I believe he means the other scanlators, who "stole" from MH the same things they (MH) stole from Viz and other manga publishers.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I believe he means the other scanlators, who "stole" from MH the same things they (MH) stole from Viz and other manga publishers.
So iphantom is saying he agrees with the publishers? That would be a first.