JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tsurezure (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 21
Join Date: Oct 2010
Pokemon VS.Pocket monster - 10-24-2010, 04:42 PM

I have a question about the word "pocket monster".
I heard that Nintendo changed the original title "pocket monster" into "Pokemon" because "pocket monster" is a slang for penis.

Unless you work at Nintendo,you don't know the truth.
I want to know that "pocket monster" is really a slang for penis.If so,how frequently is it used?Do you have used it ?Do you have heard someone using the word when refer to penis?
I hope answers from English native speakers.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin's Avatar
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿à
 
Posts: 357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Goddamn Bible Belt
10-24-2010, 04:46 PM

I'm a native English speaker and I'm quite familiar with various slang terms but I can't say I've ever heard the term "Pocket Monster" in a sexual sense :O But I'm only 19 so maybe some of the older folks have heard of it. This is just from my experience.
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard's Avatar
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent
 
Posts: 1,946
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Happily ever after ^_^
Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurezure View Post
Unless you work at Nintendo,you don't know the truth.
I want to know that "pocket monster" is really a slang for penis.If so,how frequently is it used?Do you have used it ?Do you have heard someone using the word when refer to penis?
I hope answers from English native speakers.
Thanks in advance.
I'm not a native speaker but I've conversed with many - from all walks of life. I'd have to say no, never heard it used as a reference to penis, or any sexual innuendos.

But I can see why it might be. Pretty good for a laugh.
"I think my pocket monster is 'evolving'!"


There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei's Avatar
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 141
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Think I might start referring to it as "a pocket monster" haha I thought they called it pokemon to make it easier for japanese people to say but who knows
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM's Avatar
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan
 
Posts: 12,201
Join Date: Jun 2007
10-24-2010, 06:16 PM

It is very common for katakana words in Japanese to be shortened this way.

For example, Personal Computer is パソコン (Pasocon)

Word Processor is ワープロ (Waapuro)

Pocket Monster is broken down the same way in Pokemon.

ポケットモンスター is the official name for Pokemon, so the name was not "changed" but just put in an easier to say format, just like "Digimon" is short for Digital Monsters (デジタルモンスター).
Reply With Quote
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tsurezure (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 21
Join Date: Oct 2010
10-25-2010, 09:24 AM

@StonerPenguin
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
I'm only 19 so maybe some of the older folks have heard of it. This is just from my experience.
Thanks.Your answer is exactly what I wanted.According to the wiki article related to this matter,this slang is known mainly in the American South.Maybe where you live .The older folks are important for Nintendo.Imagine,their children or grandchildren say, " I want pocket monster for Christmas. " when the older folks think pocket monster means P.

@CoolNard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
"I think my pocket monster is 'evolving'!"
haha.That's the point.
"I love pocket monster.I want more and more" from girls surprise their parents and teachers.From boys...another surprise.

@BakaTensei
@MMM
Thanks for your reply.I'm Japanese and of course I know shortened form.

Sorry,I was not clear enough.In Japan ポケットモンスター has been the official name for Pokemon until now,though Nintendo uses ポケモン too.But Nintendo has not used "Pocket monster" in the English-speaking countries.
Why?Some people put the reason to the fact that "pocket monster" is a slang for P.

related article.
毎日新聞問題の情報集積wiki - ポケモンの意味は勃起した男性器だった!!

As I said above,I don't think you guys know the truth.Here,I just want to know the major premises is correct or not ."Pocket monster" is a slang for penis?

Last edited by tsurezure : 10-25-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kristinajosep (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Oct 2010
10-25-2010, 11:03 AM

The older folks are important for Nintendo.Imagine,their children or grandchildren say, " I want pocket monster for Christmas. " when the older folks think pocket monster. These all things are great t o know about it.


I SPAM, therefore I AM.
Reply With Quote
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa's Avatar
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.
 
Posts: 2,773
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: England.
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM

No, it's not slang for penis. I've certainly never heard anyone use it, including the older generation.

This is probably just a silly rumour.

They probably just used 'Pokemon' in English because it's more catchy, easy to remember and good for branding.
Reply With Quote
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tsurezure (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 21
Join Date: Oct 2010
10-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
No, it's not slang for penis. I've certainly never heard anyone use it, including the older generation.
This is probably just a silly rumour.
They probably just used 'Pokemon' in English because it's more catchy, easy to remember and good for branding.
Thank you for your reply.As you say,Pocket monster is not that slang in England.
I believe you.
But,if you hear that they use the slang in the US south, can you say" absolutely lie!"?
No one knows all slang because English is spoken widely.So Nintendo might avoid the suspicious word.Monster itself is not a good word for children's toy too.

I hope more replies from all over the world.Please tell where you live and answer it.

Btw,do they know that POKEMON is a shortened form of pocket monster in the English-speaking countries ?
In japan,100% children and their parents know that.
Reply With Quote
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM's Avatar
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan
 
Posts: 12,201
Join Date: Jun 2007
10-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
No, it's not slang for penis. I've certainly never heard anyone use it, including the older generation.

This is probably just a silly rumour.

They probably just used 'Pokemon' in English because it's more catchy, easy to remember and good for branding.
But it has, and always has been called "Pokemon" in Japan, even before it jumped the borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurezure View Post
Thank you for your reply.As you say,Pocket monster is not that slang in England.
I believe you.
But,if you hear that they use the slang in the US south, can you say" absolutely lie!"?
No one knows all slang because English is spoken widely.So Nintendo might avoid the suspicious word.Monster itself is not a good word for children's toy too.

I hope more replies from all over the world.Please tell where you live and answer it.

Btw,do they know that POKEMON is a shortened form of pocket monster in the English-speaking countries ?
In japan,100% children and their parents know that.
Did you read my answer above? POKEMON is what it is called in Japan. It makes MORE sense for them to call it Pocket Monster OUTSIDE of Japan that it is to call it the nonsensical POKEMON. Yes, people know Pokemon is "pocket monster".

I live in the Pacific NW, and people use the term "pocket monster" to refer to Pokemon...nothing sexual.

And there are plenty of children's goods that use the word "monster".

Monster, Inc., Monster Trucks, even the Sesame Street muppets like Elmo are called "monsters".
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6