JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Hansuke (Offline)
New to JF

Is Anime addictive? - 11-05-2010, 10:58 AM

こんにちは!
I'm currently learning Japanese because I'm really interested in their culture and the language itself. I also often hear that Animes usually have pretty good plots and stories. I would really love to watch one, but I'm afraid of getting addicted and waste my time. I know my question seems somehow silly, but I'd like to know how many hours do you spend watching Anime daily (for those who do watch).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Azumacho (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansuke View Post
こんにちは!
I'm currently learning Japanese because I'm really interested in their culture and the language itself. I also often hear that Animes usually have pretty good plots and stories. I would really love to watch one, but I'm afraid of getting addicted and waste my time. I know my question seems somehow silly, but I'd like to know how many hours do you spend watching Anime daily (for those who do watch).
Well i think anime is pretty cool and also you can get many kind of ideas of japanese culture and also learn a little japanese.
In my case i think its adicitive when you dont have anything else to do.
For example when im on vacations i spend like 5 o 6 hours watching anime (obviously if i dont have anything to do)
So it depends but at list you should watch one or two animes
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-05-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
こんにちは!
You can use anime/drama, but if you really want to get something out of it (other than just enjoyment) you should really try and approach it AS a learning tool. This can be hard to figure out, so I don't think your question is silly at all.

Several approaches I've used in the past:

Try and find something available with both subs and just the raw audio (or cover the subs). Pick something you are likely to understand- I find kids anime (like doraemon, yotsubato, azumanga daioh) and daily-life drama most useful for me as the language is more straight forward and relevant to me.

Watch it without subs and try and answer a few basic questions; what happens, why, who are the characters, what's the theme, what kind of language do the various characters use etc. Watch it again with the subs. How was your comprehension?

Try and pick up on any words you know and the sentences they are used in. Try and listen for any words that are used frequently that you ~don't know~. Aim to learn about 8 new words.

Consider, is what you're listening to something you could actually use in Real Life? Is it polite? Is it overly formal/old-fashioned/technical/childish/masculine/feminine for you to use? Is some of it 'nonsense' language? What are the words and forms that make it so? And bear in mind, in some anime/dramas there can be a fair bit of language that would be very weird to use in real life.

If cultural points of interest pop up, go and read a little about them. Subbers often put in some short explanation, but they might not bother, or they might be misinformed, or the anime might be misrepresentative. It's always worth following up on new information.

If you do all that, you won't get addicted because you'll be too busy learning. You could also swap about through different series' if you have them available, so you don't get too sucked into one story. It's when you just sit there, with the subs on, passively watching that you a) might find you're putting too much time into it and b) not ~learning~ anything so it's not actually doing much to help your Japanese.

And finally, anime and manga on the internet is almost all illegal. So do try and find a legitimate means of access. You can get DVD's on amazon, sometimes quite cheaply (i've seen anime feature films on there for less than £5) and i think Crunchyroll is legit, but someone else will have to verify that. Or you could do what I do and just shake any nearby otaku and see what falls out. :P
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hansuke (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well i think anime is pretty cool and also you can get many kind of ideas of japanese culture and also learn a little japanese.
In my case i think its adicitive when you dont have anything else to do.
For example when im on vacations i spend like 5 o 6 hours watching anime (obviously if i dont have anything to do)
So it depends but at list you should watch one or two animes
Oh I see. I will try my best to watch an anime, and I'll narrow it to one episode per day.

Quote:
You can use anime/drama, but if you really want to get something out of it (other than just enjoyment) you should really try and approach it AS a learning tool. This can be hard to figure out, so I don't think your question is silly at all.

Several approaches I've used in the past:

Try and find something available with both subs and just the raw audio (or cover the subs). Pick something you are likely to understand- I find kids anime (like doraemon, yotsubato, azumanga daioh) and daily-life drama most useful for me as the language is more straight forward and relevant to me.

Watch it without subs and try and answer a few basic questions; what happens, why, who are the characters, what's the theme, what kind of language do the various characters use etc. Watch it again with the subs. How was your comprehension?

Try and pick up on any words you know and the sentences they are used in. Try and listen for any words that are used frequently that you ~don't know~. Aim to learn about 8 new words.

Consider, is what you're listening to something you could actually use in Real Life? Is it polite? Is it overly formal/old-fashioned/technical/childish/masculine/feminine for you to use? Is some of it 'nonsense' language? What are the words and forms that make it so? And bear in mind, in some anime/dramas there can be a fair bit of language that would be very weird to use in real life.

If cultural points of interest pop up, go and read a little about them. Subbers often put in some short explanation, but they might not bother, or they might be misinformed, or the anime might be misrepresentative. It's always worth following up on new information.

If you do all that, you won't get addicted because you'll be too busy learning. You could also swap about through different series' if you have them available, so you don't get too sucked into one story. It's when you just sit there, with the subs on, passively watching that you a) might find you're putting too much time into it and b) not ~learning~ anything so it's not actually doing much to help your Japanese.

And finally, anime and manga on the internet is almost all illegal. So do try and find a legitimate means of access. You can get DVD's on amazon, sometimes quite cheaply (i've seen anime feature films on there for less than £5) and i think Crunchyroll is legit, but someone else will have to verify that. Or you could do what I do and just shake any nearby otaku and see what falls out. :P
Thanks for the thorough reply! I really appreciate it. The tips you gave are really informative. I'll surely do what you said while watching the anime. I believe Detective Conan would be a perfect one, for episodes aren't usually related to each other, so it would be possible to watch one episode per day and learn/benefit from it without 'wasting' my time.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM

It can get addictive. It really depends on how much time you've got. I bought an anime series called 'Witchblade' on DVD, and spent the whole day watching all 6 discs, with 4 35-minute episodes on each disc. When it was done, I looked at the time and thought "Bloody hell. Where's the time went?" lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

11-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Anime being addictive is a bit of a misnomer, in my opinion; B.S.
It's similar to saying Television in general is addictive: While it's there, and you like it, you'd be inclined to watching it. If it wasn't there, and you'd like it... you would miss it. But I doubt you'd physically breakdown from a lack of it.

It's a bit silly to say you don't want to watch anime because you'll get addicted to it and waste your time. Anime is for entertainment, it's meant to be enjoyed, and, in regards to productivity, it's meant to waste time. Don't worry, you won't get hypnotized by it, depriving you of your ability to simply turn it off and work. If you chose to pass off something important for anime, that's solely your prerogative, and it would be your conscious decision.

Anime being "addictive" is just a fun way to express how much a person can like watching it. It's a loose expression. Just like any other pleasure, you can overindulge in it. That's pretty much it, unless you have some unusual psychological condition.

If you haven't watched anime yet, I would definitely recommend it.
They're just like any other type of cartoon... except, maybe... better?

I personally don't watch anime as much as I used to due to time, but I have seen my fair amount. Back then, I would probably watch a few of my favorite shows a day, about an hour or 2's worth -- if I had the time.

I would list some suggestions, but there is a considerably broad variety of categories. Though... if you posted your tastes, maybe I or someone else could name a few that you'd like.

Give them a look.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Hansuke (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Your reply is so reasonable. Thanks As for what I would like, I used to watch a dubbed version of Detective Conan on T.V, and I used to adore it! I've also heard that Death Note is a good anime. I actually tried some episodes during summer vacation, and nearly got addicted But after school has started, I stopped. That's why I'm worried about watching during school days.

血も涙もない
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

11-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Your reply is so reasonable. Thanks As for what I would like, I used to watch a dubbed version of Detective Conan on T.V, and I used to adore it! I've also heard that Death Note is a good anime. I actually tried some episodes during summer vacation, and nearly got addicted But after school has started, I stopped. That's why I'm worried about watching during school days.
Hmm... I haven't watched Detective Conan. lol Hopefully someone might pick up on that hint.
What about in terms of genre? Do you mainly favor a particular kind of show or are willing to try different kinds?

I don't know your personal situation, but, in my case, I used to get most of my responsibilities (i.e. chores, errands, studies, etc.) out of the way first, and then start relaxing. That's usually when I could fit in time to watch a show or 2 before moving onto something else.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
こんにちは!
Your personality will determine whether or not anime is addictive or not, as it is not a chemical you are putting in your body like nicotine or alcohol.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Hansuke (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hmm... I haven't watched Detective Conan. lol Hopefully someone might pick up on that hint.
What about in terms of genre? Do you mainly favor a particular kind of show or are willing to try different kinds?

I don't know your personal situation, but, in my case, I used to get most of my responsibilities (i.e. chores, errands, studies, etc.) out of the way first, and then start relaxing. That's usually when I could fit in time to watch a show or 2 before moving onto something else.
As for genres, I don't mind any. Mild fantasy would be great. As for Detective Conan, I totally recommend you watch it. It's like episodes, so you can pick any and try. Hm, I'll try to do as you do during your day, and try and watch an episode from an anime!

Quote:
Your personality will determine whether or not anime is addictive or not, as it is not a chemical you are putting in your body like nicotine or alcohol.
Hahah yeah you're right.

血も涙もない