JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Mika (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Mika
06-19-2007, 03:26 PM

You have no idea. Here in my country it was very rare to meet people who liked anime or japanese culture. Now is becoming popular, even when it is so hard to get series here. The only source we have is Internet.
I still can't figure out if this is suppposed to be a good thing or a bad thing. The good thing about it, at least for me, is that I get to share what I like with more people and it has allowed me to make new friends.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

where? - 06-20-2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
You have no idea. Here in my country it was very rare to meet people who liked anime or japanese culture. Now is becoming popular, even when it is so hard to get series here. The only source we have is Internet.
I still can't figure out if this is suppposed to be a good thing or a bad thing. The good thing about it, at least for me, is that I get to share what I like with more people and it has allowed me to make new friends.
Where do you live?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-20-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I think there is a worry that asian movies, games and anime will be heavily influenced by the west.

For example:
The anime style of Final Fantasy VII shifted to a more western style in VIII

The great Fudoh war was only directed by Takashi Miike as they thought it would help it sell abroad.

I also believe that Western companies heavily financed films like Ghost in the Shell, which runs the risk that they will try to appeal to western audiences.

Also I feel it's a shame many asian directors have tried to make it big in the west, Stephen Chow, John Woo etc as their work has suffered. It's not too bad yet as it's still at the early stages but it's a worrying trend.

Ocasionaly if anime gets REALLY popular in the U.S. they tyake the american audience intoi consideration. Thats VERY rare though.

Takashi Miike is a great director, but he isnt chosen for projects JUST so they can be seen outside Japan. He has a loyal fan base in Japan as well. So in a way, they were taking all audiences AND Japan into consideration. But I think Takashi Miike himself, only thinks about the Japanese audience.

Anime, Manga, Games, Movies, and lots of other stuff in Japan, have been influenced by the west for a long time. Nothing has changed.

Another thing that has been EXTREMLEY popular in the west for a VERY long time is Japanese vidio games, and game systems. I dont think they are getting anymore popular, so nothings really changing.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Mika (Offline)
New to JF

06-20-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
Where do you live?
I live in Uruguay. It's a small country in South America.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

oh - 06-20-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
I live in Uruguay. It's a small country in South America.
So do you read scanslations? Or do you order manga translated into english from america (online). You say you use the internet, but how?

(Im only asking because im curouse)
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ChezRuler (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to ChezRuler
not a good thing - 06-21-2007, 12:44 PM

i hate that anime/manga is getting popular, because then the people who have loved it for years(like me).... well its like being mocked cause where we live u got teased for likeing manga, and now all the people that were teasing us a reading it... well its just annoying.
and then they are only reading it cause its "in" . and eventually it wont be and they'll all drop it, and i hate people like that. plus sence more people will be into it that means less books for us real manga fans
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ChezRuler (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to ChezRuler
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
I'd prefer Anime to stay the way it is now, to be honest. I don't want it to become popular >,< coz then it will become more Americanised and it will lose what it is~!! 100% JAPANESE!!! =D
i denifinatly agree with that, most people in my school look at the manga and ask why its "backwords". i HATE THEM they annoy me..... but i definatly dont want it to be Americanised.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
CrystalTear (Offline)
Ninjaaa

06-21-2007, 02:17 PM

I don't know if it's positive or negative... I don't like the fact that it isn't alternative anymore.... But if more people like it, maybe more animes will come on tv in country's other than Japan.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Mika (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
So do you read scanslations? Or do you order manga translated into english from america (online). You say you use the internet, but how?

(Im only asking because im curouse)
I read scanslations and I sometimes go to Argentina and buy manga there. I'd love to order online but it's too expensive for me. I also download anime episodes. Since most anime here is not licenced I have no trouble exchanging series with my friends.