JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
boring? - 08-29-2007, 02:12 AM

maybe I've just lost my mind but anime and manga are starting to get VERY boring to me...i seem to have lost something in translation or something. I see the picture, it makes me want to draw, not look at the next page, but make my own story. i have read so many stories now that in the first couplw of chapters i can tell if the stories lame or not. I don't care if it's shoujo,shounen,ecchi, or whatever they all seem the same, the reason why i stopped looking at american comics was that they were the same. I know that there is no new story out there...but damn, "cute" guys all the time (unless they're unnecessary), chornological order( like its a freakin epic), hot ass girls that I WISH JAPANESE PEOPLE LOOKED LIEK lol jk jk, love intrests that are always shy and almost never obnoxious (quite the opposite here, ones shy, the other isn't very), fight scenes with humans having human yet inhuman abilities, the first episode or first few scenes has the main character pulling a crazy "its morphing time" out his ass, the guy or girl gets stronger to protect (its never about effort, or rarely is about effort. its more about not using so much effort in the next battle so you get stronger so you don't need to), there are very few characters that actually inspire me (tohru, from that manga that escapes me right now but has kyo and shigeru and the animal zodiac thing (said that backwards but i hate going backwards), vash, from trigun, and yarong, from shaman warriors)...I like the art style, i like how the characters hardly ever have HUMONGOUS AMOUNTS OF MUSCLE!!!, they have some special abilities all the freakin time or something that makes them TOTALLY different than anyone else ion the world of the comic (HOW IS THAT ANY DIFFERENT THAN AMERICAN COMICS!!!!)...is everyone so similar that the story can be so detailed before the reader EVEN FREAKIN KNOWS THE LAST NAME OF THE FREAKIN MAIN CHARACTER!! that happened to me today i was reading a demon slaying thing (similar to strawberry, sword wielding guy with the humongous DNA built "reiastu", but with a sick " I LIKE KILLING!!" type of character, like zombie powder main character) and i knew the freakin thing when i saw the monster eat ole' girl and then the hero tries to be heroic and doesn't quite make it but someone rescues his ass (pulled that one out of my ass, read the first two pages)...if there is no new story how can anyone really be any different from you or me. If the story is the same, then are we individuals, or are we pieces to the whole? Are we mere ants that like or don't like each other but yet are so Fundamentally same that a story spews out of a totally different person and has some of the MOST SEEN CRAP!!!! when, where, how, did it get boring...how did manwha and manga get boring...the music is not to different either, same topics over and over and over, everybody loves everybody or nobody and someones got to die because i want you to leave me alone. angst, horror, love, betrayal, emotional destitution, destruction of one's perspective on life (my whole family was killed)... Ya knwo whats a good topic, the movie waking life...profoundly crazy art style, yet i LOVED IT!!! I looked at japan and i looked at canada and i see hardly a difference... nanimo...owarimasen

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...

Last edited by kokunin : 08-29-2007 at 02:20 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Peachboy (Offline)
helooo Tiki and Quoy.....

Send a message via MSN to Peachboy
08-29-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokunin View Post
maybe I've just lost my mind but anime and manga are starting to get VERY boring to me...i seem to have lost something in translation or something. I see the picture, it makes me want to draw, not look at the next page, but make my own story. i have read so many stories now that in the first couplw of chapters i can tell if the stories lame or not. I don't care if it's shoujo,shounen,ecchi, or whatever they all seem the same, the reason why i stopped looking at american comics was that they were the same. I know that there is no new story out there...but damn, "cute" guys all the time (unless they're unnecessary), chornological order( like its a freakin epic), hot ass girls that I WISH JAPANESE PEOPLE LOOKED LIEK lol jk jk, love intrests that are always shy and almost never obnoxious (quite the opposite here, ones shy, the other isn't very), fight scenes with humans having human yet inhuman abilities, the first episode or first few scenes has the main character pulling a crazy "its morphing time" out his ass, the guy or girl gets stronger to protect (its never about effort, or rarely is about effort. its more about not using so much effort in the next battle so you get stronger so you don't need to), there are very few characters that actually inspire me (tohru, from that manga that escapes me right now but has kyo and shigeru and the animal zodiac thing (said that backwards but i hate going backwards), vash, from trigun, and yarong, from shaman warriors)...I like the art style, i like how the characters hardly ever have HUMONGOUS AMOUNTS OF MUSCLE!!!, they have some special abilities all the freakin time or something that makes them TOTALLY different than anyone else ion the world of the comic (HOW IS THAT ANY DIFFERENT THAN AMERICAN COMICS!!!!)...is everyone so similar that the story can be so detailed before the reader EVEN FREAKIN KNOWS THE LAST NAME OF THE FREAKIN MAIN CHARACTER!! that happened to me today i was reading a demon slaying thing (similar to strawberry, sword wielding guy with the humongous DNA built "reiastu", but with a sick " I LIKE KILLING!!" type of character, like zombie powder main character) and i knew the freakin thing when i saw the monster eat ole' girl and then the hero tries to be heroic and doesn't quite make it but someone rescues his ass (pulled that one out of my ass, read the first two pages)...if there is no new story how can anyone really be any different from you or me. If the story is the same, then are we individuals, or are we pieces to the whole? Are we mere ants that like or don't like each other but yet are so Fundamentally same that a story spews out of a totally different person and has some of the MOST SEEN CRAP!!!! when, where, how, did it get boring...how did manwha and manga get boring...the music is not to different either, same topics over and over and over, everybody loves everybody or nobody and someones got to die because i want you to leave me alone. angst, horror, love, betrayal, emotional destitution, destruction of one's perspective on life (my whole family was killed)... Ya knwo whats a good topic, the movie waking life...profoundly crazy art style, yet i LOVED IT!!! I looked at japan and i looked at canada and i see hardly a difference... nanimo...owarimasen
talk bout eating computers lol. i agree tho. especially in the romance mangas the main characters always some lamo trying to win someone over always h8 that but wot can ya do. i didnt rread all the post by the way

Daughter masako053095 Best Buddy and Conscience Tiki aka Country gal Grandma QuoyaNatsume
HELLO TIKI AND QUOYANATSUME

wow haven't been here in ages. Hi guys and gals
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
08-29-2007, 02:48 AM

i know...lol no one will...

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

08-30-2007, 10:47 AM

Maybe you're right. It happens to everything that becomes very popular, like music or movies. Ideas start to disappear and a template is formed on how to create something, making it kinda boring. I don't agree that it is the same with Manga though, yet. I think some out there are boring but a lot of Manga keeps us thinking "wow" and takes us back for more.
Also another reason why Manga is nothing like American comics is because it has Japanese values. That is also what attracts people to it, no matter how westernised the story is. Be it Philosophy, Comedy, Action or whatever, there's gotta be plenty of creativeness left out there.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

08-30-2007, 10:47 AM

I had a phase like that.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-30-2007, 11:32 AM

I think certain Manga publishers don't like to take risks with their releases and churn out the same generic stuff over and over again. But other companies release Manga such as Phoenix, Monster, Eden etc. which are all quite unique tales.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

mhm - 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I think certain Manga publishers don't like to take risks with their releases and churn out the same generic stuff over and over again. But other companies release Manga such as Phoenix, Monster, Eden etc. which are all quite unique tales.

Yes, I completley agree with that. I think it also has to do with what is stalked on shelves. Most of the manga you see on the shelf is stuff that is really simealer, because thats the kind of manga that is profitable right now. There are interesting and diffrent manga published in english, but some of them you need to seek out.

If your looking for new manga, dont go looking in barnes&noble, search around the internet for what your looking for.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Shiningmonkey (Offline)
Inventor of the s'moredog

08-30-2007, 11:23 PM

I think there are a lot of unique and creative manga out there.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-30-2007, 11:28 PM

I agree with a lot of the above statements. Go to a comic book shop, not to a big retailer to find the good stuff.

There are tons of great and original stuff out there, though. You just gotta look for it.

Eden, Ode to Kirihito, Blade of the Immortal, Death Note, Parasyte, Old Boy, MDP Psycho, Mail... all great, original, and recent releases.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Chad (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Chad Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
08-30-2007, 11:35 PM

I agree that there are a lot of cliches in anime/manga, but there are also some very original(non-mainstream) manga out their. Like the Hideshi Hino horror manga, they're certainly far from boring. As well as some of the others listed by everyone else on this thread.