JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
10-03-2007, 11:55 AM

it's better to learn japanese yourself and translate it...
then, there should be no angry or feeling mad about wrong-translated//
you can also felt how hard it is like to translate something..
they do it for free but some guy just critisize it..
i think it is not fare.. where is their gratitude..?

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#12 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 12:29 PM

I think people who produce scanlations and fansubs do a good job. I can watch a couple of episodes of an anime, read a couple of chapters of a manga and decide whether it's worth buying or whether I'm going to give up on the series.

So I'm grateful to these people but I just don't think that they can produce a product which has the same picture quality, sound quality or accuracy that the major companies can. If the distribution of their work poses a serious threat to the major companies then that can't be a good thing.

I guess in the end, it may not be down to how accurate a translation is anyway, Azumanga Daioh has many jokes that westerners simply wouldn't understand when translated literally, so a lot of effort went into broadening its appeal and I think ADV did a good job with it.

Last edited by Haggis : 10-03-2007 at 12:45 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I think people who produce scanlations and fansubs do a good job. I can watch a couple of episodes of an anime, read a couple of chapters of a manga and decide whether it's worth buying or whether I'm going to give up on the series.

So I'm grateful to these people but I just don't think that they can produce a product which has the same picture quality, sound quality or accuracy that the major companies can. If the distribution of their work poses a serious threat to the major companies then that can't be a good thing.

I guess in the end, it may not be down to how accurate a translation is anyway, Azumanga Daioh has many jokes that westerners simply wouldn't understand when translated literally, so a lot of effort went into broadening its appeal and I think ADV did a good job with it.
I dunno about picture quality etc but Fansubbers do a pretty good job with that too nowadays. I can watch an old psychlo-anime episode of Kenshin and Trigun on my tv and it'll look awesome. So newer episodes of Anime are even better At the end of the day they are recording from Japanese TV in a RAW format, either through HDTV or some other high quality source, and then just subbing it.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 08:41 PM

You're probably right. I was thinking more about manga when I mentioned picture quality, a lot of the scans you see are quite poor quality.

I've seen some bad quality anime too (to keep the file size down I guess) but generally I guess they're pretty good. If they weren't available to buy people would keep the quality high so there'd be no problem.

However I think reading anything from a book is better than from a computer screen so I'm far more concerned about manga cancellations (like patlabor and shadow star... but ironically I think these are two series for which scanlations aren't available, so not sure what that proves )
(#15 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

10-03-2007, 08:50 PM

OMG! haggis is here! I haven't seen you in the longest!

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Erm... right. Anyway hi,

Your family's grown quite a bit I see. Christmas must be hell. Specially with the stalker and all.

Last edited by Haggis : 10-03-2007 at 09:07 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

10-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Yes it is! but we party till dawn and it's awesome!!!!!!

Untill my stalker trys to kill me then I get sad...

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-04-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
You're probably right. I was thinking more about manga when I mentioned picture quality, a lot of the scans you see are quite poor quality.
Oh I see, my bad

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-04-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Its all well and good about supporting the licensor (and I normally buy mine when I can) but I mean if you can't buy it then obviously fansubs etc are only option left.

People generally don't fan-sub licenced material (why do the same work twice), so mostly it isn't an issue. I watch fansubs and read scanlations, too. And the good sites take down titles when they get licenced. Heck, it's THANKS to fan-subs and scanlations that some titles get picked up, so please don't think that I am against it. I am only against sites that take translated work and just scan it and post it. That is not cool.

And there are some good translators out there who fansub...but there are some crappy (usually non-native English speakers) too.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-04-2007, 04:33 AM

My (strange) complaint with fansubs is that they still seem to be hardcoded. That drives me *crazy*. If there is some series which I am watching and forgot to record, or which doesn`t have a DVD out yet to rent/buy - I will often hunt for the missing bit online.
As soon as a fansub appears, the raw versions disappear in a poof. I wouldn`t mind it so much if I could turn the subs off (as it would be very easy to set up) but it drives me crazy that they`re burnt into the thing. Especially when they`re rushed and crappy subs. I have to do something so that I can`t see them or it ends up irritating me to no end. Instead of watching, I end up gagging at the translation mistakes, or rolling my eyes at the unnatural ways they translate, etc.

I really wish they`d just include soft subs.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.