JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Afro Samurai - The Movie - 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Based on characters created by Takashi Okazaki, "Afro Samurai" was made in Japan for a North American audience for a whopping $1 million per 25-minute episode. The five-episode action-adventure series debuted in January on Spike TV in America and then made its way back to Japan in May, when subtitled, high-definition versions of the programs aired on the satellite channel Wowow.

Now, the Afro Samurai series has been re-edited with additional scenes into a 110-minute film for theatrical release in Japan this weekend.

Already a cult phenomenon in the United States, "Afro Samurai " is poised to become an even bigger international hit. New stories are being scripted for a second season and perhaps a third. Meanwhile, the first script for a live-action film starring Samuel L. Jackson has been completed. The producer of "Batman Begins," has also signed on for the film, Hollywood's first adaptation of a Japanese animation.

Full article: 'Afro Samurai': Japanese American Anime | Japan Times
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-26-2007, 12:24 PM

I dunno if Americanising Anime/Manga is something i'll enjoy.. I've seen some of Afro Samurai and its like they've gone really OTT with the "message".
i.e. vengeance gives you no happiness.
Its tragic in that way but other than that, I don't see much else.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-26-2007, 08:43 PM

I love Afro Samurai, and I'm really excited to see the live action film. Hmmm...the first hollywood addaption of an anime...I dont think thats right. Wasnt there a hollywood remake of some old anime (cant remember the name of the anime, but the addaption was called) "Battle of the Planets?" Also...they just made a Transformers movie, wasnt that an anime (or was it an american cartoon)?

BTW does anyone know if there is any new news about the hollywood remake of Ghost in the Shell? Is it a go, yet?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-26-2007, 10:17 PM

just watched a trailer... kinda looks stupid tbh... especially with samuel.l.jackson as the voice.... anyway... i'll prob watch it to confirm that i'm right. (which i hope i'm not, as i love to find good things to watch)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-28-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
I love Afro Samurai, and I'm really excited to see the live action film. Hmmm...the first hollywood addaption of an anime...I dont think thats right. Wasnt there a hollywood remake of some old anime (cant remember the name of the anime, but the addaption was called) "Battle of the Planets?" Also...they just made a Transformers movie, wasnt that an anime (or was it an american cartoon)?

BTW does anyone know if there is any new news about the hollywood remake of Ghost in the Shell? Is it a go, yet?
Yea transformers was Japanese. They actually made the cartoon cos the toys sold so well.. kinda like they did with Pokemon later on
I dunno about any Hollywood remakes. There was even a DragonBall Z thing in the pipework but I dunno where that is.
I just hope that they do it right or i'll detest Hollywood with a passion

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers