LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
PoissonApple (Offline)
gherkin

03-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Oh and before I forget it...
This is a stupid thread!
Every language have their strange cants and words. I guess it is everywhere the same! You see words, which are similar, but mean different things!
Don't tell me Japanese is easy or not as difficult! No even more difficult as English ; )
Japanese have so many written signs, where all of them mean different things, especially if you write them wrong! -.-

Oh and by the way you can't make a plural out of a verb or an adverb! This is stupid although it is funny.. in a kind of a way!

'How important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong' [Christopher McCandless]
(#92 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM

This isn't to judge the language! Although you see it like a "Stupid thread", actually this helps non-english people in the learning process.

One more, difference in pronouncing similar groups in different words: "choir" and "choice". Although the group "cho" is in general read the same, "choir" is an exception to that rule.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 03-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
03-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoissonApple View Post
Oh and before I forget it...
This is a stupid thread!
Every language have their strange cants and words. I guess it is everywhere the same! You see words, which are similar, but mean different things!
Don't tell me Japanese is easy or not as difficult! No even more difficult as English ; )
Japanese have so many written signs, where all of them mean different things, especially if you write them wrong! -.-

Oh and by the way you can't make a plural out of a verb or an adverb! This is stupid although it is funny.. in a kind of a way!
What the hell are you talking about? I never said English was more difficult than Japanese. In fact, I think English is one of the easiest languages to learn. And for the record, this thread is not to be taken seriosuly, just thought it was funny and wanted to share is all.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#94 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I think you mean Pronunciation rather than Pronounce. You pronounce something and the Pronunciation IS:

Domo arigato!
That is a pet peeve of mine that I hear Americans misusing more and more often.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2011, 05:57 PM

I think fingers should fing. In fact my fingers are finging now. I'm finging annoyed about it!

Japanese does have an awful lot of words that mean the same thing though.
Plus it also has male and female words,which is a big problem in Welsh because I don't want to say the English word for something,but the Welsh is a feminine word.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

03-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Japanese does have an awful lot of words that mean the same thing though.
Plus it also has male and female words,which is a big problem in Welsh because I don't want to say the English word for something,but the Welsh is a feminine word.
ok you piqued my curiosity. Example in English, that would be odd in the feminine Welsh? (No, I don't speak Welsh other than one phrase - Binq draig - and I doubt I spelled it right).

(#97 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2011, 11:29 PM

I mean there's some words in Welsh that appear to only be able to said by one gender.
(#98 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
I mean there's some words in Welsh that appear to only be able to said by one gender.
I'm curious, but could you give examples? It's just I wonder what language has words only spoken by one gender, wouldn't it hinder speaking in some way or make conveying a meaning rather difficult? Or do the feminine words have a masculine equivilant, so that the vocabulary isn't lost for the other gender?
(#99 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

03-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I'm curious, but could you give examples? It's just I wonder what language has words only spoken by one gender, wouldn't it hinder speaking in some way or make conveying a meaning rather difficult? Or do the feminine words have a masculine equivilant, so that the vocabulary isn't lost for the other gender?
Oh, I can think a few examples in English where something is referred to with different words depending on the speaker's gender. However, it's a case of common usuage, not anything specifically defined. And those words are not repeatable in civil discourse adn the phrasing is definitely classes as slang. Demeaning, anatomical, gender specific curse words, tend to be gender specific as to who usually uses them.

But if we are talking about words commonly used, I still would like more info.

(#100 (permalink))
Old
MargaritoGraves (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to MargaritoGraves
03-19-2011, 08:18 AM

You should go for this...Grammar lessons, vocabulary, business terms, idioms and wordgames for learners of English.