JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DagothUr (Offline)
Banned

Want to become a translator, please help... - 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM

I have been wanting to be a translator for a while now and I need some help about colleges. The thing is that I have a bunch of scholarships to the polytechnic school in Pomona but they only offer certificates in foreign languages and I am concerned about getting a job. To cut to the chase I need to know if a certificate in a foreign language(s) is the same as a degree in translation. Also if you guys could recommend and colleges that would be a BIG help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

03-14-2008, 04:08 PM

I guess you can always take the exam of American Translators Association, it costs about 350 or something, I am not sure. You want to be a interpreter or just translator. if the latter, I dont remmend a full time on it, cuz it doesn't pay well (I heard that from someone I know,)

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD
(#3 (permalink))
Old
DagothUr (Offline)
Banned

03-15-2008, 04:43 PM

Well I was hoping to be an interpreter with some translation on the side. I guess this field needs a lot of experience before anyone will hire you, so I was also going to go into a program like the Jet program. Oh yeah, I just looked on the bls.gov (Department of Labor) website and they said translators in '07 made an average of $76,287, and said that some may have made upwards of $100,000.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagothUr View Post
Well I was hoping to be an interpreter with some translation on the side. I guess this field needs a lot of experience before anyone will hire you, so I was also going to go into a program like the Jet program. Oh yeah, I just looked on the bls.gov (Department of Labor) website and they said translators in '07 made an average of $76,287, and said that some may have made upwards of $100,000.
DagothUr, I'll answer your PM to me here (sorry I didn't get to it sooner).

For translation work the fastest way to get hired is to pass the JLPT at level 1. That proves you are fluent in Japanese. To be honest, degrees really don't matter unless you are planning on living in Japan and doing this job, and than a 4-year degree (BA or BS) will be needed. The other way to get work is build a resume. Breaking into the business is hard, but far from impossible.

To me, interpreting is a lot more difficult than translation, and it pays more, but isn't as needed.

Translation is freelance work, for the most part, so pinning down salaries is difficult, but you can certainly make a living at it if you are good.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

03-15-2008, 05:11 PM

well, actually, I've seen MANY MANY translators who translate haruki Murakami's works and they are GOOD. But many of them are professors majoring in japanese communication/Literature.

It's freelance work , as MMM said, and like artists, you work your way up and it will be very hard. there is no easy way to do it really, if you are not a native because of the many dialects.

A certificate in a foreign language doesn't necessarily mean translation degree, it could be one of the paths you take, heck, i have a GCSE in italian, on a certicate. and I only know basic italian. A translation degree requires ALOT of focus on literature so if you did do alot of literature in your foreign language diploma, and you aced it, then yes, you would have potential to be a translator.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2008, 05:36 PM

People hiring translators aren't interested in degrees because you will not graduate from college being fluent enough to be a translator. JLPT 1 or just experience is what you need to show.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Liete87 (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2008, 06:30 PM

I've tried studying on my own but it just turns into an "i'll do it tomorrow" sort of thing... over and over endlessly causing me to never really learn more than the core basics, and then forgetting them over and over.

I think if your less motivated (like me) your going to have to force yourself through university classes. I'm to the point im probably going to have to myself if I ever intend to learn anything.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DagothUr (Offline)
Banned

03-17-2008, 01:36 AM

K, thanks for the info, its been a lot of help.