JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   kanji help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/16045-kanji-help.html)

akisan 06-03-2008 05:32 AM

kanji help

hello, i would like some help with kanji,

it would be helpful to recamend a book that i can barrrow from a library or anything. maybe a webiste....or just a pm. i know kana, and hiragana. but i need to learn kanji.......it is very difficult when you wna be able to take part in conversations without kanji....T_T

so please help aki-

MMM 06-03-2008 06:27 AM

I like "Basic Kanji Book" Volumes 1 and 2. Published by Bojinsha Co. Ltd.

Paul11 06-03-2008 06:50 AM

Find a bookstore (a Japanese bookstore if you're not in Japan or a bookstore with english books and study aids if in Japan) and look at the material. there are great flashcards and books. Choose one you think will work for your learning style. Buy one rather than a library, because you might want to write in it.

I found the little books used for grammer school kids in japan extremely help, in conjuction with goo flash cards. The books are about the size of a mad-lib (5" x 10") simple and have you start by tracing with examples of words with the kanji, sometimes words that aren't in some dictionaries. they're not to expensive, either.

Nyororin 06-03-2008 10:00 AM

Back when I was still in the early stages of learning Kanji, I bought quite a few books and study tools to try to speed up the process. I never got anything out of flashcards, I think I only opened the box 2 or 3 times. Study type study books didn`t really hit home either. Children`s worksheets were wonderful... And one single book still hangs around for occasional reference. It is, in my opinion, the best Kanji study/reference book around.

Kanji & Kana

It`s great when you don`t know many Kanji, and you can still use it after you DO know most. All the other books seems to be very limited in the period of time you can make use of them.

akisan 06-03-2008 08:32 PM

thanks guy's ^ ^. this has been VERY helpfull ^ ^

i will look nto most of them, now i have a question. can you translate a kanji character like you can with hiragana? i doubt you can, but i must ask anyways.

MMM 06-03-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akisan (Post 504851)
thanks guy's ^ ^. this has been VERY helpfull ^ ^

i will look nto most of them, now i have a question. can you translate a kanji character like you can with hiragana? i doubt you can, but i must ask anyways.

Hiragana only represents a sound, but had no meaning beyond that, kind of like letters in our alphabet.

Kanji have meaning...like a word in English...

akisan 06-03-2008 10:40 PM

ohok! so thas why i see mixed hiragana in some japanese(most) sentences..and katakana...hmm....

Miyavifan 06-04-2008 12:10 AM

katakana's same as hiragana, same purpose, but it's for Foreign language loan words.

Did you mean why hiragana and Kanji are mixed in sentences? :confused:

akisan 06-04-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyavifan (Post 505028)
katakana's same as hiragana, same purpose, but it's for Foreign language loan words.

Did you mean why hiragana and Kanji are mixed in sentences? :confused:

yes i did :)

i still dont know why, i meani have an idea why....but i better just let you tell me XD

i canr read them bothe except kanji, i know some, like love" "tree"wood" mother" child" but thats basiclty it....

Befron 06-17-2008 02:34 AM

I have had the same problem, and I have been using one of those kanji a day calendars. They don't teach too quickly, but they do help to remember. THe version I have comes in a yellow box and is called kanji a day... I believe there are only 2 or 3 volumes out to date, so I suggest doing 2 or three at once. there are also many kanji a day sites on the net two, good idea to check them out. I hear that Japanese HS grads know upwards of 2000 kanji. 365 per year plus the fact that you aren't starting in kindergarten or first grade.... hmm that would take a while. By the way, can anyone tell me if that figure is accurate? I haven't tried kanji books yet, but I would imagine they can't hurt. Hope that helps