JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
akisan (Offline)
New to JF

kanji help - 06-03-2008, 05:32 AM

hello, i would like some help with kanji,

it would be helpful to recamend a book that i can barrrow from a library or anything. maybe a webiste....or just a pm. i know kana, and hiragana. but i need to learn kanji.......it is very difficult when you wna be able to take part in conversations without kanji....T_T

so please help aki-

fools thoughts are in there mouths,

a wise mans words are in his heart.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2008, 06:27 AM

I like "Basic Kanji Book" Volumes 1 and 2. Published by Bojinsha Co. Ltd.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-03-2008, 06:50 AM

Find a bookstore (a Japanese bookstore if you're not in Japan or a bookstore with english books and study aids if in Japan) and look at the material. there are great flashcards and books. Choose one you think will work for your learning style. Buy one rather than a library, because you might want to write in it.

I found the little books used for grammer school kids in japan extremely help, in conjuction with goo flash cards. The books are about the size of a mad-lib (5" x 10") simple and have you start by tracing with examples of words with the kanji, sometimes words that aren't in some dictionaries. they're not to expensive, either.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-03-2008, 10:00 AM

Back when I was still in the early stages of learning Kanji, I bought quite a few books and study tools to try to speed up the process. I never got anything out of flashcards, I think I only opened the box 2 or 3 times. Study type study books didn`t really hit home either. Children`s worksheets were wonderful... And one single book still hangs around for occasional reference. It is, in my opinion, the best Kanji study/reference book around.

Kanji & Kana

It`s great when you don`t know many Kanji, and you can still use it after you DO know most. All the other books seems to be very limited in the period of time you can make use of them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
akisan (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2008, 08:32 PM

thanks guy's ^ ^. this has been VERY helpfull ^ ^

i will look nto most of them, now i have a question. can you translate a kanji character like you can with hiragana? i doubt you can, but i must ask anyways.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akisan View Post
thanks guy's ^ ^. this has been VERY helpfull ^ ^

i will look nto most of them, now i have a question. can you translate a kanji character like you can with hiragana? i doubt you can, but i must ask anyways.
Hiragana only represents a sound, but had no meaning beyond that, kind of like letters in our alphabet.

Kanji have meaning...like a word in English...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
akisan (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2008, 10:40 PM

ohok! so thas why i see mixed hiragana in some japanese(most) sentences..and katakana...hmm....

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-04-2008, 12:10 AM

katakana's same as hiragana, same purpose, but it's for Foreign language loan words.

Did you mean why hiragana and Kanji are mixed in sentences?

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
akisan (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
katakana's same as hiragana, same purpose, but it's for Foreign language loan words.

Did you mean why hiragana and Kanji are mixed in sentences?
yes i did

i still dont know why, i meani have an idea why....but i better just let you tell me XD

i canr read them bothe except kanji, i know some, like love" "tree"wood" mother" child" but thats basiclty it....

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Befron (Offline)
JF Regular

06-17-2008, 02:34 AM

I have had the same problem, and I have been using one of those kanji a day calendars. They don't teach too quickly, but they do help to remember. THe version I have comes in a yellow box and is called kanji a day... I believe there are only 2 or 3 volumes out to date, so I suggest doing 2 or three at once. there are also many kanji a day sites on the net two, good idea to check them out. I hear that Japanese HS grads know upwards of 2000 kanji. 365 per year plus the fact that you aren't starting in kindergarten or first grade.... hmm that would take a while. By the way, can anyone tell me if that figure is accurate? I haven't tried kanji books yet, but I would imagine they can't hurt. Hope that helps