JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   American or English?? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/17532-american-english.html)

Nikko 07-24-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 546109)
Lol, its not just England you know, UK in general :cool:
Well I'm from the UK, and if I was learning English I'd probably choose British English.

lol thats what I meant to say but I put england cos I was thinking english ;)
...so majority of people here learn in american english... I passed my english gcse but if I took an american english exam I probably wouldn't do so well.
I guess it does depend on the teacher you have...but it does make it more difficult for the people learning english...I think... anybody here who teaches english as a foreign language??
:vsign:

MMM 07-24-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 545132)
Sometimes it's the luck of the draw - it depends where your teacher is from. Mid-west American English is in vogue now.

Really? Where?

Dmnhntr 07-25-2008 02:17 PM

Here in America we speak American-English. But there are different variations of American-English like if you are from the south, like South Carolina, you will sound alot different and pronounce things different, than say someone from Ohio. The accent varies depending on what part of the country you live in.

Kitten160 07-25-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmnhntr (Post 547224)
Here in America we speak American-English. But there are different variations of American-English like if you are from the south, like South Carolina, you will sound alot different and pronounce things different, than say someone from Ohio. The accent varies depending on what part of the country you live in.

That is oh so true. I'm from New York City and when I visit my cousins in Texas they say I talk weird. Lol.

allie2590 07-25-2008 02:31 PM

We learn Canadian English in Canada, obviously. It's a bit closer to British English then American English.

Paul11 07-25-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 546154)
Really? Where?

Everywhere. The reletively "accentless" (bland is a better word) is the standard for television journalists and corporate business. Notice the journalistic standard and that really influences the rest of the nation. Look at tv and hollywood, Actors with various backgrounds speak that way unless called for in a role. As a translator, I'm surprised your haven't noticed this trend. It's been the way for a decade or two.

Suki 07-25-2008 11:54 PM

People usually learn British English here. Textbooks are written with British spelling and most teachers come from the UK (I've had like 20 different English teachers in all my life, only about 5 of them were American).

But yeah I think it mostly depends on the teacher's nationality, even though in the English school I went to from age 9 to 12, only the native British were employed and they worked pretty damn hard on us innocent pupils getting their stupid accent and way of spelling lol I guess I could be taken as proof of their failure :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11
The reletively "accentless" (bland is a better word) is the standard for television journalists and corporate business

I can easily tell by how a journalist on TV speaks whether they're American or British. In most cases anyway.

Paul11 07-26-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suki (Post 547621)
People usually learn British English here. Textbooks are written with British spelling and most teachers come from the UK (I've had like 20 different English teachers in all my life, only about 5 of them were American).

But yeah I think it mostly depends on the teacher's nationality, even though in the English school I went to from age 9 to 12, only the native British were employed and they worked pretty damn hard on us innocent pupils getting their stupid accent and way of spelling lol I guess I could be taken as proof of their failure :D

I can easily tell by how a journalist on TV speaks whether they're American or British. In most cases anyway.

Of course, that's a huge difference in accents. I was addressing the use of midwest English among American's and the trend of learning that style from American teachers. It's like our Hyoujyungo.

sasuke91 07-26-2008 12:06 AM

what about aussie english ? :p

Paul11 07-26-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasuke91 (Post 547631)
what about aussie english ? :p

What about it, mite? Maybe you should wrat a piper bout it.