JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   American or English?? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/17532-american-english.html)

Nikko 07-23-2008 10:30 AM

American or English??

As everyone knows England and America have different spellings(e.g mum and mom) and pronounciations of words(e.g leisure) and different words for different things (e.g jam and jelly)...so people learning english,what do they learn? English English or American English? or does it depend on which country your nearest to??
Never thought about it before...
:vsign:

Yingzi 07-23-2008 11:02 AM

In japan....

In Japan,most students learn American-English, but I really like British sound English so I modulate my pronunciation when I speak it.

Paul11 07-23-2008 11:25 AM

Sometimes it's the luck of the draw - it depends where your teacher is from. Mid-west American English is in vogue now.

Alvinho 07-23-2008 02:39 PM

British accent sounds better to me.....my grammar books are essentialy British....but surprisingly words come out easily if I put on the American accent.....weird....hehehe

lovebuddah 07-23-2008 04:11 PM

In Denmark it depends on which teatcher you have.. Personally I like British more.. It sounds adorable..
But I believe that all the american TV-shows affect the language, so that american words blend in.. ^-^
If that makes any sense..

Clive 07-24-2008 08:09 AM

Hollywood

Most of the people in and around the globe care only for the British English. It's the normal language being used. The American is used only for commercial purposes.
----------------------------
Clive
Email Marketing

clairebear 07-24-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikko (Post 545113)
As everyone knows England and America have different spellings(e.g mum and mom) and pronounciations of words(e.g leisure) and different words for different things (e.g jam and jelly)...so people learning english,what do they learn? English English or American English? or does it depend on which country your nearest to??
Never thought about it before...
:vsign:

Lol, its not just England you know, UK in general :cool:

Well I'm from the UK, and if I was learning English I'd probably choose British English.

JoshAussie 07-24-2008 08:19 AM

I use a weird mix of both. (when spelling) i used to get in trouble at school for using American spelling. i didnt care tho i was doing year 12 English in year 10. My grammar is horrible. moi spelin is brillyant. << lol

GentlePrincessJC 07-24-2008 08:23 AM

id say i was american english because english english is wierd to me :confused:

noodle 07-24-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 545132)
Sometimes it's the luck of the draw - it depends where your teacher is from. .

Yeah, that's true. But I seem to find that most foreigners learning english seem to learn American English. I don't know if it's due to more American teachers being around, or just simply because the US is number one, and Standard basically.