Meow.

06-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"Pedicuring"

I have my toenails painted pink.
When I got a job as a pharmacist, I started pedicuring. I thought manicuring wasn't a good idea due to the job, so I enjoyed pedicuring instead.
One time, I had my toenails painted in white. I loved it and thought it looked clean, modest, and elegant.
However, when one dermatologist looked at my foot, he/she pointed at my toes and shouted, “Nail ringworm!”
I was shocked. Very shocked.
Afterwards, I decided to have my toenails painted only in pink or red.
Now, some friends from dance lessons have their toenails painted in blue or green. Every time I see them, I hear the dermatologist saying in a loud voice, “Mold fungus!”

Thank you!
Interesting read before morning coffee, Yuri. I suppose the dermatologist had little sense of style or fashion about nail colouring. Personally, I think it was very rude for him/her to say that out loud.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

06-03-2009, 02:51 PM

"Pedicuring"

I have my toenails painted pink.
When I got a job as a pharmacist, I started pedicuring. I thought manicuring was not good with handling medicine, so I enjoyed pedicuring.
One time, I had my toenails painted in while (do you mean white?). I loved it and thought it looked clean, modest and elegant.
However, when one dermatologist looked at my foot, pointed at my toes and shouted, “Nail ringworm!”
I was shocked. I was in major shock.
Then, I decided to have my toenails painted only in pink and red.
Now, some friends from dance lessons have their toenails painted in blue or green. Every time I see them, I feel as if I hear the dermatologist say in a loud voice, “Mold fungus!”

Well, Either get rid of (I was shocked) or I was in major shock. you're being redundant.

But interesting story

(#113 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-04-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Interesting read before morning coffee, Yuri. I suppose the dermatologist had little sense of style or fashion about nail colouring. Personally, I think it was very rude for him/her to say that out loud.
Koir, thanks a lot as always.
When the dermatologist shouted pointing at my toes, he didn’t think it was pedicureing.
He believed it really was mold, so I was shocked very much.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#114 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-04-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
Well, Either get rid of (I was shocked) or I was in major shock. you're being redundant.

But interesting story
Hi, Yuusuke. Thanks a lot!!!
Your revision is very, very instructive. It’s very kind of you.
Thanks again!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#115 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Koir, thanks a lot as always.
When the dermatologist shouted pointing at my toes, he didn’t think it was pedicureing.
He believed it really was mold, so I was shocked very much.
I understand now. I'm thinking it was a shock for him as well...that's one way to get a reaction out of your co-workers

(#116 (permalink))
Old
Lizh (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, manymen and Lizh.

I see. I should have written “the story isn’t finished.” And “Every volume was a bestseller.”
Still I don’t see why I can’t write it “The every volume…”.

I see. You don’t say “many of the readers.” But still I don’t see why I can’t say “many of the readers”. Learning English is too difficult…

About “I’ve written about…”.
My text book says that when I mention about the date or when it happened, I can’t use a perfect form, but my text book may be incorrect again.

Thank you!
Well you can say "the readers" as well. Saying "her readers" just makes it more personal. ^_^

Lizh <3
(#117 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-07-2009, 04:55 AM

Hi.

“ABO Blood Group System”

Many Japanese people like talking about their ABO blood group. They often ask their blood types each other, and say that people with blood type A are punctual, people with B do things at their own pace, people with O are generous and careless, and people with AB are of artistic temperament.
We know that judging people from their blood types is nonsense because there are many blood group systems and ABO is nothing more than one of them. Still, we enjoy talking about blood groups or having a guessing game of each blood type. It’s a very general and casual topic to open a line of communication.
Now, I’ve heard that Western people see a blood type very personal and asking it rude, so they would be angry when they are asked their blood types. (Is this true?)
Japanese people don’t see why Western people keep their blood types in secrecy. Me neither. Can you explain?

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#118 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-07-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Hi.

“ABO Blood Group System”

Many Japanese people like talking about the ABO blood groups. They often ask each other their blood types, and try to predict personalities with that information. Some of these personality traits by type are:

A: punctual
B: do things at their own pace
O: generous and careless
AB: artistic temperament.

We know that judging people from their blood types is nonsense because there are many blood group systems, ABO being just one of them. Still, we enjoy talking and guessing about blood groups and types. It’s a very general and casual topic used to start conversations.
Now, I’ve heard that Western people regard their blood type as a very personal thing. They believe asking about it is rude, and it angers them. (Is this true?)
Japanese people don’t see why Western people keep their blood types a secret. I don't understand either. Can you explain?

Thank you.
My late-night guess as to why blood typing is such a touchy subject in Western society is because it's not seen as a useful indicator of a person. It may been seen on the same level as astrology, and trying to predict a person's future that way. It's generally believed that a person has a great deal of control over his or her future, and the idea that something in our blood or the time of our birth setting our existence in a certain path is unsettling.

Personally, I don't have *that* much belief in blood typing/zodiac signs, but it's an interesting thing to consider when you think about how you react to your life's events.

(#119 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-07-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
My late-night guess as to why blood typing is such a touchy subject in Western society is because it's not seen as a useful indicator of a person. It may been seen on the same level as astrology, and trying to predict a person's future that way. It's generally believed that a person has a great deal of control over his or her future, and the idea that something in our blood or the time of our birth setting our existence in a certain path is unsettling.

Personally, I don't have *that* much belief in blood typing/zodiac signs, but it's an interesting thing to consider when you think about how you react to your life's events.
Koir, thanks for correcting and explaining.

Most of us don’t believe in blood typing too. We just enjoy it. It’s a kind of games.
I think Western people are very serious about talking about people and it is because you’ve been living with many people differ in race and historic background. What do you think?

Good night, Koir!

I YamaP
(#120 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-07-2009, 05:42 AM

Koir, I forgot to ask this.

May I write your explanation in my blog?

I YamaP