JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#451 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
10-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Another good way to learn how to express yourself "naturally" using English is to study "collocations".

Why learn collocations?

Your language will be more natural and more easily understood.

You will have alternative and richer ways of expressing yourself.

It is easier for our brains to remember and use language in chunks or blocks rather than as single words.

(Enjoying the thread)

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL
(#452 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-26-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
Another good way to learn how to express yourself "naturally" using English is to study "collocations".

Why learn collocations?

Your language will be more natural and more easily understood.

You will have alternative and richer ways of expressing yourself.

It is easier for our brains to remember and use language in chunks or blocks rather than as single words.

(Enjoying the thread)
Hi.
This time, I understand your English. Thank you for advising.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#453 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-26-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
This time, I understand your English. Thank you for advising.
That is good.

I think your English is very good.

Like everyone though, "expanding the horizons", (collocation) is a worthy cause and challenge.

It is good to see you trying so hard and doing so well.

BRAVO!

Oh well!
~DL
(#454 (permalink))
Old
snbzk (Offline)
JF Regular

10-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Based on your elaboration of the story, I'll update my revision:

"You say that we, who are at the mercy of the gods, try to escape fate desperately to survive or try to achieve our ambitions while, all around us but just out of sight, necromancers and strange monsters who came from nowhere are struggling for power to dominate the whole world?"

I tried to make it sound like normal people could see the necromancers if they would just turn and look at them, but because of the psychic barriers people simply don't notice.

"Struggling for power" sounds more like the necromancers are actively fighting each other for power. You could also say "grappling for power" if you prefer.

Quote:
He didn’t know the information. He hates what he just heard.
What he heard was the necromancers and monsters are trying to conquer and govern the world. If you heard that, and you had known there were some necromancers and many wizards in the world, what would YOU say?
I would probably say "What can we do?" or "We have to do something!", but that may be more than what Skarr actually said. "I had no idea..." is closer, followed by something like "Skarr grimaced" to emphasize his anger/concern. I can't really think of any short spoken phrases that convey the right emotion and fit the tone of the preceding sentence, so if I were translating the book I might have to do more than just convert the sentence directly.

Quote:
Do you say “No kidding.” when you are praised and dispraised?
If someone gives you a compliment, you could reply "No kidding?" in question form if you wanted to be cute. It sounds like you're asking the person to flatter you some more.

You could also use the phrase in a self-deprecating way if someone criticizes you:
"Yuri, you're really terrible at karaoke. "
"Yeah, no kidding. "
It simply means that you agree.

Quote:
When you say “Really? No kidding.”, does “No kidding” mean like “I’m surprised.”?
Right. In that case it's sort of a rhetorical question asking "You aren't joking, are you?" The "..." at the end is essential, though, because the tonal inflection is different from just "No kidding," which is a statement.

In the same situation you could also say "Really? No kidding?" which is a question that requires a response. It, too, has a different inflection and means that you're surprised but also slightly skeptical.
(#455 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbzk View Post

"You say that we, who are at the mercy of the gods, try to escape fate desperately to survive or try to achieve our ambitions while, all around us but just out of sight, necromancers and strange monsters who came from nowhere are struggling for power to dominate the whole world?"

I would probably say "What can we do?" or "We have to do something!", but that may be more than what Skarr actually said. "I had no idea..." is closer, followed by something like "Skarr grimaced" to emphasize his anger/concern. I can't really think of any short spoken phrases that convey the right emotion and fit the tone of the preceding sentence, so if I were translating the book I might have to do more than just convert the sentence directly.
If I may offer a suggestion? The way the sentence sounds is quite grand and formal. He's not just speaking to someone, he's giving an oration (演説). It definitely sounds as though he wants to say something short and powerful to show that he really hates or objects to what he's heard, but because it's a speech, he's can't be informal or swear without ruining the tone. So this isn't ~normal~ language he's using. In which case, I would use something that wouldn't be heard in everyday language, but fits more with the tone of the speech. "Fie!" or "Fie upon it!" is an old expression which native speakers would recognise as being a strong expression of disgust, even though we don't use it any more. It's similar to "I curse it/you!" or "I spit on this, I hate it so much" or "Shame upon it/you/me!".
An even older expression of disgust, horror, pain or frustration is "God's teeth!" or "God's wounds!" but that's possibly a bit too strong and a bit too archaic (古語)for this translation.
(#456 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-27-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbzk View Post

I tried to make it sound like normal people could see the necromancers if they would just turn and look at them, but because of the psychic barriers people simply don't notice.
This is what I wanted say. Thank you, snbzk!
“All around us but just out of sight” sounds perfect. And “struggling for power” too.

Quote:
If Skarr says “That’s nonsense.” meaning he don’t want to believe the story because it is too danger and beyond his power, what do you think? I think “That’s nonsense” is similar to “I have no idea.” in this case. Can “That’s nonsense” imply his anger?

Quote:
You could also use the phrase in a self-deprecating way if someone criticizes you:
"Yuri, you're really terrible at karaoke. "
"Yeah, no kidding. "
It simply means that you agree.
Does this “no kidding” mean like “Absolutely”?

Quote:
Right. In that case it's sort of a rhetorical question asking "You aren't joking, are you?" The "..." at the end is essential, though, because the tonal inflection is different from just "No kidding," which is a statement.

In the same situation you could also say "Really? No kidding?" which is a question that requires a response. It, too, has a different inflection and means that you're surprised but also slightly skeptical.
OK. If I’m surprised to hear something, I can say “Really? No kidding.”
And If I think it’s skeptical, I can say “Really? No Kidding?”
Thank you, snbzk!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#457 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-27-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
If I may offer a suggestion? The way the sentence sounds is quite grand and formal. He's not just speaking to someone, he's giving an oration (演説). It definitely sounds as though he wants to say something short and powerful to show that he really hates or objects to what he's heard, but because it's a speech, he's can't be informal or swear without ruining the tone. So this isn't ~normal~ language he's using. In which case, I would use something that wouldn't be heard in everyday language, but fits more with the tone of the speech. "Fie!" or "Fie upon it!" is an old expression which native speakers would recognise as being a strong expression of disgust, even though we don't use it any more. It's similar to "I curse it/you!" or "I spit on this, I hate it so much" or "Shame upon it/you/me!".
An even older expression of disgust, horror, pain or frustration is "God's teeth!" or "God's wounds!" but that's possibly a bit too strong and a bit too archaic (古語)for this translation.
I’m sorry! I should have elaborated the situation.
Skarr wasn’t giving an oration. He just said the line to the person, who had told the story, for confirmation. His lines are very casual, but I don’t know how I should write to make the lines casual.
And I should have written this too. He isn’t a prince any more. I wrote he is “the second son of Arugosu’s king”. I meant that his elder brother has become a dauphin, and Skarr left the royal family to prevent a family trouble ( which means if there are two princes in the royal family, the family divided in two factions and may start war.) Skarr travels around now. He doesn’t speak in a royal family’s way.
I’m sorry. There are too much background because this is 129th volume.

I YamaP
(#458 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-28-2009, 04:15 AM

Hi.
I don’t understand the difference between “apprehend/apprehension” and “comprehend/comprehension”.
My English-Japanese dictionary says that “both apprehension and comprehension mean understanding”, and my English-English dictionary says “If you apprehend something, you understand it”, and “If you can not comprehend something, you cannot understand it.

Could you tell me the difference?
Thank you!

I YamaP
(#459 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-28-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Hi.
I don’t understand the difference between “apprehend/apprehension” and “comprehend/comprehension”.
My English-Japanese dictionary says that “both apprehension and comprehension mean understanding”, and my English-English dictionary says “If you apprehend something, you understand it”, and “If you can not comprehend something, you cannot understand it.

Could you tell me the difference?
Thank you!
Quote:
“apprehend/apprehension”
Apprehend - This means to catch or arrest someone. The common use is when the police catch or detain a suspected criminal.
-----
Apprehension - This means a mild form of fear or discomfort felt when a person thinks there may be danger.

A common use would be... She felt apprehension as she realized the man was following her.
-----
"Comprehension"... this means a person understands something.

Common use... I comprehend your questions. It could be said then that I have comprehension of the questions.
-----

Oh well!
~DL
(#460 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-28-2009, 05:13 AM

One more question!
Is this sentence correct? Do you understand what I mean? Isn’t this rude?
Could you tell me a politer expression?

“May I use your answers in my own webpage? If you don’t like it, let me know it, please.”

Thank you!

I YamaP