JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#851 (permalink))
Old
IonFortuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to IonFortuna Send a message via Skype™ to IonFortuna
09-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Trying to get a job in the US after High School is very difficult.
(#852 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM

A video of stereotypical neds. This is the sort of people I see down at the job centre, claiming jobseekers allowance. Of course, different areas will have different types of people on jobseekers

YouTube - Still Game neds

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)

Last edited by JamboP26 : 09-18-2010 at 06:29 PM.
(#853 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-19-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
I think the first "freeter" is on 0:48. Thanks! It sounds exactly like any native English person would pronounce it, or at least, I would. Thanks again, Yuri!
Yes, it starts at 0:48.
Good!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#854 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-19-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
A video of stereotypical neds. This is the sort of people I see down at the job centre, claiming jobseekers allowance. Of course, different areas will have different types of people on jobseekers

YouTube - Still Game neds
Is this video of a comedy?
I didn’t catch what the man speaking. Is he from Germany?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#855 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-19-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFortuna View Post
Trying to get a job in the US after High School is very difficult.
It’s really difficult here, too.
There are many job offers, but the companies pay too badly.

I YamaP
(#856 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
09-19-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Is this video of a comedy?
I didn’t catch what the man speaking. Is he from Germany?
It is from a comedy. It's a Scottish sit-com called 'Still Game', which follows a community of pensioners. It's really funny, but can be hard to understand for people outside of Scotland. Its a Scottish dialect called Glaswegian, which is generally found in Glasgow & the surrounding area.

Translation, for those that don't understand:

Member of Parliament - "It gives me great pleasure to be here today."
Ned - "No, it doesn't"
MP - "With great admiration, I've watched the community of Craiglang (setting of the comedy) grow & flourish"
Ned - "No, you haven't"
MP - "My father grew up in Craiglang, & he always had the greatest of respect for his home"
Ned - "No, he didn't"
MP - "I only wish he could be here today, to see this"
Ned - "No, you don't"
MP - "He would help by congratulating today, as we open this facility, in this open, caring, forward-thinking community"
Ned - "No, it isn't"

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#857 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
It is from a comedy. It's a Scottish sit-com called 'Still Game', which follows a community of pensioners. It's really funny, but can be hard to understand for people outside of Scotland. Its a Scottish dialect called Glaswegian, which is generally found in Glasgow & the surrounding area.
Thank you for the translation.
Do NEETs seem to be like those neds in your country?

I YamaP
(#858 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Hi.
I have rewrited my short composition.
What do you think?

What “Freeter” Is

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, that would be “freeter” (both singular and plural), and that means a person or people who work(s) part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” was.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shortened version of “freearbeiter”.
As you can tell, “free” is from the English word “free” or “freelance”, and “arbeit” is from the German word “arbeiten”(work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from verbs. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was hard work. My father who is a surgeon used to say that cutting corpse heads in two is tiring activity. Japanese medical students studied German because early Japanese medical information was from Germany. This word has spreaded and been changed to mean 'part time work'.
Anyway, “arbeiter” means “part time worker” now.
You know, there is a problem. Does “a free part time worker” work without salary? Unfortunately, no.
In this context, “free” means “without permanent position” or “freelancing” here.
Many young people can’t get permanent positions recently and they become freeter. You might think “free” can implies fun, but these people have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem in Japan. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.

Special thanks to Columbine and Koir!

I YamaP
(#859 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Hi.
I have rewritten my short composition.
What do you think?

What “Freeter” Is

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, it would be “freeter” (both singular and plural), and that means a person or people who work(s) part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” was.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shortened version of “freearbeiter”.
As you can tell, “free” is from the English word “free” or “freelance”, and “arbeit” is from the German word “arbeiten”(work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from verbs. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was hard work. My father (who is a surgeon) used to say that cutting corpse heads in two is tiring activity. Japanese medical students studied German because early Japanese medical information was from Germany. This word has spread and been changed to mean 'part time work'.
Anyway, “arbeiter” means “part time worker” now.
You know, there is a problem. Does “a free part time worker” work without salary? Unfortunately, no.
In this context, “free” means “without permanent position” or “freelancing” here.
Many young people can’t get permanent positions recently and they become freeter. You might think “free” implies fun, but these people have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem in Japan. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.

Special thanks to Columbine and Koir!
Some changes were made to verb tenses to work better with the sentences. "Can implies" was changed to just "implies", though in a different sentence "can imply" would work the same. In this case, a past tense works well.

Hope this helps, Yuri.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#860 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
09-19-2010, 02:18 PM

Koir, you beat me to it!

I would just like to add that various people may use English differently; there is no set standard for many grammar zones, nor vocabulary zones, so I would have corrected your essay differently.

Quote:
I don't understand why you would put "Unfortunately, no", after "without salary?" I'm curious - is this a mistake or are you implying that working with salary is unfortunate?

EDIT: or perhaps Koir might want to hazard a guess?

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 09-19-2010 at 02:36 PM.