LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
Some suggestions about learning English - 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Suggestion # 1- Practical Vocabulary

The English language has over a million words. Learning can be hampered if vocabulary becomes the focus. It is better to build a small (quality) vocabulary of useful (daily use) words and concentrate on knowing and using them really well.

Westerners get by on about 400 words each day, for daily need.

Vocabulary develops naturally as wider or specific interests are pursued. If the new words are added as needed then it becomes enjoyable to increase vocabulary instead of stressful. There is a real personal reward for learning them.

Many unnecessary words are in play, English often provides a variety of words which duplicate each other. It is best to contain yourself to the commonly used word and learn the other ones as you come upon them.

If you know the common word, it is easy to understand when someone explains alternate words since the meaning remains almost the same.

Initially, adopt a smaller practical vocabulary and practice, practice practice.

Does this translation work?

英語-先端およびトリック

提案# 1

小さいけれども品質の用語

英語は百万ワードに持っている。 学習は用語が焦点になれば妨げられる可能性がある。 有用な(毎日の使用)ワードの小さい(品質の)用語を構築 、それらを実際によく知り、使用することに集中する とはよい。

欧米人は毎日の必要性のための約400ワードで、毎日何と かやっている。

用語はより広いですか特定の興味が追求されると同時に 自然に成長する。 それから必要とされるそれ楽しく緊張に満ちたの代りに 用語を高めるためになると同時に新しいワードが追加さ れれば。 それらを学ぶための実質の個人的な報酬がある。

多くの不必要なワードは頻繁に演劇、英語に提供する互 いを複写するいろいろなワードをある。 それらに行き当たるようにあなた自身を広く使われたワ ードに含み、他の物を学ぶことが最善である。

共通ワードを知っていれば、意味がほとんど変わらない ので誰かが互い違いワードをいつ説明するか理解するこ とは容易である。

小さい用語を採用し、方法を練習しなさい、練習しなさ い。

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL

Last edited by DougLewis : 10-12-2009 at 03:55 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Suggestion # 2. Phonemes.

The English alphabet. Each letter has a "name" and a "sound.

"A" is the name of the letter, "a" is the sound of the letter.

The sound of "A" (the letter name) is not how the letter is used phonically. "a" the sound of the letter is quite different.

Why is this important?

Many learn the English alphabet using "A B C D E" and so forth but do not spend enough time learning the sounds of the letters "a b c d e"... so that they can be used correctly to sound out or build words.

The letter names are good to write with... "CAT" works, as does "cat." Although capitalized written words should not be used. "Cat" is correct if it begins a sentence. "cat is correct if it is in a sentence. All proper nouns (people names and places) begin with a capitalized letter. Tokyo, Japan, Doug and so forth.

When speaking though... "C-A-T" does not work because the sounds of the name of the letters do not make the word sound "cat".

In short, practicing the sounds of the alphabet letters is key to building up words phonetically and key to being able to say them properly. Pronounced accents are partly a result of not learning the correct sounds of letters, as is poor phonetic spelling ability.

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v x y z.

This appears to be a child like observation yet it is critical to know how the letters are used in speaking them and making words from the sounds of the letters.

The sound of letters is called "phonemes". Practicing these is a very good thing.

Sounds

Does this translation work?

提案# 2

文字(音素)の音

英国アルファベット。 各文字は「名前」および「音がする。

「A」は文字の名前、「a」である文字の音である。

「A」の音は(音名)文字がphonically使用されるかどのよう ではない。 「a」は文字の音かなり異なっている。

これはなぜ重要なあるか。

多数は「B C D E」を使用して鳴るか、またはワードを構築するのに正 く使用することができるように英国アルファベットを 学ぶが、文字の音を「学ぶ十分な時間をb c d e」…使わない。

音名はと書いてがよい… 猫」。が「ように「、CAT」作業 大文字で書かれているが書き言葉は使用されるべきでは ない。 「文を始めれば猫」は正しい。「猫は文にあれば正しい 。 すべての固有名詞は大文字で書かれていた文字から(人 の名前および場所)始まる。 東京、日本、ダグ等。

しかし話した場合… 「文字の名前の音がワード音「猫」を作らないのでC-A-T」は働かない。

つまり、アルファベットの文字の音を練習することはそ れらをきちんと言えるにワードおよびキーを音声学上造 り上げることに主である。 顕著なアクセントは悪い音声スペリングの能力があるよ うに、部分的に文字の正しい音を学ばなかった結果であ る。

b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v x y z。

これは観察けれどもそれが文字がそれらを話し、文字か の音からワードを作ることでどのように使用されるか知 って重大であるように子供のようである。

文字の音は「音素」と呼出される。

Oh well!
~DL

Last edited by DougLewis : 10-12-2009 at 03:54 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
Suggestion # 1- Practical Vocabulary

The English language has over a million words. Learning can be hampered if vocabulary becomes the focus. It is better to build a small (quality) vocabulary of useful (daily use) words and concentrate on knowing and using them really well.

Westerners get by on about 400 words each day, for daily need.

Vocabulary develops naturally as wider or specific interests are pursued. If the new words are added as needed then it becomes enjoyable to increase vocabulary instead of stressful. There is a real personal reward for learning them... because they are words you want.

Many unnecessary words are in play, English often provides a variety of words which duplicate each other. It is best to contain yourself to the commonly used word and learn the other ones as you come upon them.

If you know the common word, it is easy to understand when someone explains alternate words since the meaning remains almost the same. This means there is only one new thing to remember, the slight meaning difference will come naturally when explained.

The suggestion.

Initially, adopt a smaller practical vocabulary and practice, practice and practice with those to build a fluent foundation.

OK! After saying all of that, one question might be...

"What should those 400 common, practical English words be?"

(The useful, practical words that provide a foundation from which to build a realistic English vocabulary)

Since I advocate practical English learning techniques, (small effort - great gain), I will suggest what the first of the 400 word(s) to learn would be... (In any language actually--gleaned from experience)

"Bathroom"
"Washroom"
"Lavatory"
"Loo" (slang)
"Head"
"Commode"
"Powder Room"
==========

Now, I respectfully request your contribution so that we can build up a list of (student) desired words to include in the top 400.

My feeling is, "Free" "Bargain" "Discount" will be popular.

OK.... 1, 2, 3.... GO!

Oh well!
~DL

Last edited by DougLewis : 10-13-2009 at 07:38 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-13-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:

"Bathroom"
"Washroom"
"Lavatory"
"Loo" (slang)
"Head"
"Commode"
"Powder Room"
Why start with 6 different words for 'toilet' and yet not add 'toilet' itself? "Head" doesn't fit with that set unless it's slang for toilet and should be labelled as such and I don't think "commode" is a suitable word for beginners, or a very common one either. At least to my knowledge it's a word that differs from the rest, being the name of a very specific item rather than an area in the way the word 'bathroom' is. "Powder room" isn't all that common a term for it either, except in some very high-end hotels and restaurants, and I don't think even there anyone would mind if you simply asked where the 'toilets' are. It IS good to know synonyms, but the average Jo doesn't say 'entrecote' when he means 'steak'.

I'd also add the words in Japanese after each entry, so the learner doesn't have to struggle looking up 400 unfamiliar words by themselves.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks Columbine... you have illustrated the challenges of the English language very well. Your assessment of my examples is spot on - thank you. You are 100% correct of course.

On a more serious note... the post was in the hopes of inspiring interaction and discussion while possibly having a little fun with the English language, (Which it well deserves for obvious reasons.)

On a less serious note... the next word I will put forward to the list is "Humour", or "Humor" depending which location you are in.

As in... developing a sense of it.

Posts are difficult to convey personality in, Smilies can help, but it is a challenge all the same. I hope I come across in good intention and that I do not sound offensive in any way.

That is the very LAST thing I would ever want to do.

Looking forward... There is culture. There is language. One day there will be understanding. A smile can speak volumes. That is why I offer "Humour" as the next candidate word.

D.

Oh well!
~DL

Last edited by DougLewis : 10-13-2009 at 11:51 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM

wow I'm glad you did this...........now if only people that are trying to *learn* English could read it.........
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-14-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks Columbine... you have illustrated the challenges of the English language very well. Your assessment of my examples is spot on - thank you. You are 100% correct of course.

On a more serious note... the post was in the hopes of inspiring interaction and discussion while possibly having a little fun with the English language, (Which it well deserves for obvious reasons.)

On a less serious note... the next word I will put forward to the list is "Humour", or "Humor" depending which location you are in.

As in... developing a sense of it.

Posts are difficult to convey personality in, Smilies can help, but it is a challenge all the same. I hope I come across in good intention and that I do not sound offensive in any way.
D.
I'm uh... just not one for emoticons. Rest assured, though, I don't think you've done anything offensive. Same thing stands for me anyway; hope you didn't think I was being harsh.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2009, 05:19 AM

Columbine Not at all... I did not think you were being harsh and I am glad you did not think I was being offensive. I am very pleased to make your acquaintance.

The goal is to make 400 words to learn in English. Common everyday words that have practical use.
目標は400個の単語は英語で学習することにある。その実 用性がある共通の日常の言葉。

The first word is "Toilet" which is a very practical word to know.
最初の単語が"トイレ"を知るには、非常に実用的な単語 す。

The second word is "Humor" which is a good word because it sets a tone for the thread.
2番目の単語"これは、スレッドのトーンセットユーモア" は良い言葉です。

Now we need a third word to learn. After that... only 397 words will remain. I am hoping the forum will jump in and start suggesting some.
今を学ぶために、サードの単語が必要です。その後...唯 一の397の言葉のままです。私は、フォーラムでジャンプ し、いくつかの示唆を起動思っています。

I have no idea if the translator is coming close. Can someone bilingual check and see please.
場合は、トランスレータを閉じる来ている私は考えてい る。誰かのバイリンガルをチェックして見ることが出来 ます。

So... Now I listen to see what the third practical English word will be.
だから... ...今、私は3番目の実用的な英語の単語がどうなるかを 照して耳を傾ける。

Oh well!
~DL
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Ok!

Todays words are:

"I"
"Me"
"Myself"

They all mean the same, "Self".

Usage:

- I wrote this post.
- No one else, only me.
- I wrote it for others, not for myself.
- I am self employed.

Incorrect usage:

I, myself will keep this thread alive if I have to.

("I" used with "myself" is incorrect usage, many do it as a bad habit.)

I will keep this thread alive if I have to.

玉!

今日の単語です:

"私"
"私"
"私自身"

それらはすべて同じ意味、"自己"。

用途:

-私はこの記事を書いた。
-他に誰も、自分だけ。
-私は他人のためではなく、自分で書いている。

不適切な使用:

もし私にして私自身は、このスレッドが生存し続けます 。

("私""自分自身"不適切な使用されて使用すると、多く 悪い習慣としてはありません。)

I don't know if the translator is accurate? Can someone comment please.

Oh well!
~DL

Last edited by DougLewis : 10-22-2009 at 02:25 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Today's words are "ignored" "lonely" "abject"

These are three words that can be used by someone in a strange place where they do not know anyone.

A common usage might be:

Mary arrived in the new country. She was all alone and did not know anyone, or even speak the language.

Soon she felt ignored and lonely. Later she told her friend Jack, that she had never been so abject.

"ignored" - To be left alone without notice being taken.
"lonely" - A feeling of being without friends or contacts.
"abject" - A feeling where the spirits are very low, almost being depressed.

今日の言葉を"無視"、"孤独""卑劣な"です

これらは、誰かが変な場所には誰も知らない使用するこ とができる3つの単語です。

一般的に使用される可能性があります:

メアリーは、新しい国に到着した。彼女はすべての人は 誰でも知っていない。間もなく、彼女を無視して寂しか った。その後、彼女は彼女が惨めなようにされていなか った彼女の友人のジャックと語った。

""は無視-スタンドアロン予告なしに取られてままにしてください 。
お友達やご連絡なしにされるのは、"孤独" -感。
"卑劣な" -気持ちが精神は非常に低い場合は、ほとんど落ち込んで いる。

Oh well!
~DL