JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
munzy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

help in this little cinese sentence? - 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Hello, can I ask if someone can translate me this little concert's review? I think it's cinese? Thanks in advance!

砂月先生....你今日既溫柔+淫賤眼鏡look!我好難唔將你放 响第一位~~~~~唔掂ar!!!到e+都仲係好hi gh ar~~可以同砂月大人閒聊~~~~(///..//).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SquallStrife (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munzy View Post
Hello, can I ask if someone can translate me this little concert's review? I think it's cinese? Thanks in advance!

砂月先生....你今日既溫柔+淫賤眼鏡look!我好難唔將你放 响第一位~~~~~唔掂ar!!!到e+都仲係好hi gh ar~~可以同砂月大人閒聊~~~~(///..//).
Mr 砂月..you have a sexy look today!It took me alot of effort to get you first sit!
i think maybe its better to get on e+.we can discuss together about this.

looks like its Cantonese writing this so its hard for me.
did my best lol
(#3 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munzy View Post

LOL. This is definitely not Chinese but Cantonese, especially it's in colloquial... which is hard for non-Cantonese speaking people to grab its meaning.

She said, "Mr 砂月... (I love) your nice & erotic look with glasses today! It's hard to me for not putting you in the first place (first place of her heart?)~~~ Oh my god (or I can't help!)!!! I am still exciting now~~~ (I am so happy) to chat with master 砂月~~~

>> 唔掂ar!!!
Generally it means "it doesn't work", but in this sentence it means "I can't help but..." or just simply express her "Oh my god" feeling

>> e+
In Cantonese it should be 依家, which means "now". Cantonese people (esp. HK people) love to type e+ instead (almost the same pronunciation) because it's short.

>> high
Which means "Hyper".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

03-03-2010, 11:28 PM

You will piss off a lot of people if you insist that "Cantonese is not Chinese". It is not Mandarin phrasing, but "Chinese" incorporates languages/dialects beyond Standard Mandarin.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
03-04-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradfor View Post
You will piss off a lot of people if you insist that "Cantonese is not Chinese". It is not Mandarin phrasing, but "Chinese" incorporates languages/dialects beyond Standard Mandarin.
If someone feel pissed about my word, I apologize. May be I should rephrase it to "it is Cantonese but not formal Chinese". Sorry for the thoughtlessness.

Additional information about Cantonese: it is more like a dialect (as there are kansai and kantou dialect in Japanese) than a language. We speak in Cantonese but write in Chinese. However, it is still possible to express Cantonese in words (informally).

Last edited by berrypie : 03-04-2010 at 12:36 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SquallStrife (Offline)
New to JF

03-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradfor View Post
cantonese chinese is very different from formal chinese.
Read a Taiwan newspaper and you get headaches.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallStrife View Post
I never said they were similar. All I said is that they should all be considered to be "Chinese".

And I'm not sure what you mean about the Taiwan newspaper. They do not speak Cantonese in Taiwan. They speak Mandarin mostly, some Taiwanese, and many of the older generation speaks Japanese as well due to the occupation.

And no, I don't get headaches from reading Taiwan newspapers. It is a bit challenging for me, but that's it.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Let me clarify.

Chinese character:
Simplified-used in Mainland China
Traditional-used in Taiwan and Hong Kong

Spoken languages:
Mandarin-used as the official language in Mainland and Taiwan, but both places have dialects
Cantonese-used in Hong Kong, Macau and southern part of Guangdong Province.

So Hong Kong and Taiwan share the same traditional Chinese character in writing, but Mainland and Taiwan share the same spoken language.

And written Cantonese is a totally different story...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Matterwave (Offline)
New to JF

05-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallStrife View Post
Taiwanese don't speak Canto in general...They speak either Taiwan dialect Mandarin or actual Taiwanese.