LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghap View Post
English (British or American) are pretty much idendtical spoken.

Although there are different rules as to how it is written, in this day and age of mass media each English speaker is well aware of what the others mean.

Of course slang can be a bit hard and accents even worse but really you just need to hear them and get used to them same as anyware else.

so really both are correct.
maybe we can understand one another but I still say that AMERICANS do speak differently from us here in UK.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
English (British or American) are pretty much idendtical spoken.

Although there are different rules as to how it is written, in this day and age of mass media each English speaker is well aware of what the others mean.

Of course slang can be a bit hard and accents even worse but really you just need to hear them and get used to them same as anyware else.

so really both are correct.
sorry but I cannot understand alot of speech from speakers in different parts of the country-- especially when they use different dialect etc.

I did as you suggested and have posted on an AMERICAN/ENGLISH differences thread

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-23-2010, 11:23 AM

what I do notice that where we Use "T"s such as

"what do you want?" they sound as if they say "Wadda You want."
Often the "T"s in the middle of a word get changed to D's.

One thing I notice many Brits say is: somethink/sumfink-- when they mean SOMETHING. Or Nuffink-- nothink- instead of Nothing- NUthing. they tend to add a "K" sound when it should be "ING."

I hear it a lot on the TV.

also the letter "H" aich. I hear quite a lot of people say HAICH when they mean "AICH" they seem to think that they have to actually sound the letter HAICH-- to match the letter itself.

I guess thats probably a Londoners trait.

Many of us drop the last "T" in a word.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-23-2010 at 11:27 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

12-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
One thing I notice many Brits say is: somethink/sumfink-- when they mean SOMETHING. Or Nuffink-- nothink- instead of Nothing- NUthing. they tend to add a "K" sound when it should be "ING."
I've never really heard anyone say that... it's a sort of way of expressing in writing when someone is a chav/common, IMO.

I'm from the north of England so I say 'summat' and my Mum often tells me to speak properly because I sound common! Lol.

I think the English English (lol) is the proper way to speak English, though I would say that because I'm from England so...

I think foreign peoples general preference is to learn English English if they could pick but I doubt they care that much about it.

As for the dictionary, it should be perfectly fine. You might get caught up with some old fashioned words but to be honest I find it nice to hear them sometimes.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
As for the dictionary, it should be perfectly fine. You might get caught up with some old fashioned words but to be honest I find it nice to hear them sometimes.
Thanks MissMisa! It's good to hear, I also like old fashioned words (in my language) they can sound rather pleasant, and even if we don't use them anymore they're still understood. Some of my emigrant friends tend to use them a lot, as their family went to live in other countries and they didn't developed with the 'live language', they stuck with the one which was used 50+ years ago, but as I said I enjoy their 'strange' dialect.
Now I understand there shouldn't be too many 'old' worlds in the dictionary anyway so I'll be fine.

@Dogsbody
Thanks to you too, it's a bit scary how many different dialect your language has. One of my friend told me that when he'd lived with a Briton family a few years ago, at the end of his four weeks there, the only thing he could actually learn to say with the correct accent was 'hello'(even-though he'd tried hard to learn more...). What I want to say is that for us, it's generally hard to learn British accents, American can be a bit easier but still hard. For example we don't use anything like your 'th', I think for me it's the hardest to pronounce. . .

@GinaS
That was an interesting video, I watched some more too, I must admit I never really liked Country-music but now, that I understand it a bit more, at least I find it interesting. (lol I hope it's not an insulting statement!)
About the language learning in the US: I admire the US citizens' attitude towards their country, even if sometimes it means overprotective rampage because of some sort of fears. But I can imagine that, it can be hard to be free when it determine your days, I really feel for you and hope it's not that bad after all.
And thanks for the tip about word roots.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-24-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I've never really heard anyone say that... it's a sort of way of expressing in writing when someone is a chav/common, IMO.

I'm from the north of England so I say 'summat' and my Mum often tells me to speak properly because I sound common! Lol.

I think the English English (lol) is the proper way to speak English, though I would say that because I'm from England so...

I think foreign peoples general preference is to learn English English if they could pick but I doubt they care that much about it.

Simon cowell always NOTHINK or Somethink-- if you listen he adds the "K" at the end.

I think as I live in the south east of England we have many Londoner type expressions-- lots of Londoners move down here--

I love to hear all the different accents-- especially foreign ones.

I actually think that when we say Learn English-- it means the QUEEN's English. not that many of us speak like her.

Language constantly changes-- which is great. No doubt with more immigration into this country-- UK-- there will be influences from all those other countries.

Its interesting FileO that you say "TH" is difficult for you. I found that very hard as a child-- and living in London was always saying "F"

FINK-- for THINK or FUMB-- for for THUMB.

Our Japanese friend had the greatest difficulty with differences between "R" L" and B" and "V"

also trying to say "WOMAN" was really hard for her. usually she says "Ooman" but with practice she can now actually say "WOOD" instead of "OOD"

It is mainly her listening skills that are her biggest obstacle.

I guess we all speak the way we Hear or listen to those around us. at home a child will mostly imitate the parent/s etc, at school they are like their peers.

In the olden days we used to have ELOCUTION lessons so that we would speak correctly and precisely.

I used to sound like a cockney-- there are still traces of that with the "OW" sound.

because I have lived in many parts of the UK as a child and teenager--I inevitably picked up each local way of speaking. when I lived in with my employers-- if I admired their way of speaking I would try to emulate it to improve my own speech.

In the NORTH it is the "OOo sound that is different from the south.

Lewk at the BEWK for Look at the Book etc.

Even sign language for the deaf has its own varied interpretations of language for each area.

American films and shows have inevitably influenced many of us in UK also the Australian programmes. I really Love Australians.

There is still the hint of COCKNEY there with the "MITE" instead of MATE etc.

Yesterday in the hospital,

I was chatting with a lady from South Africa-- I had mistaken her initially for an Australian-- but the accent is totally different really.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-24-2010 at 09:30 AM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
what I do notice that where we Use "T"s such as

"what do you want?" they sound as if they say "Wadda You want."
Often the "T"s in the middle of a word get changed to D's.

I hear it a lot on the TV.

also the letter "H" aich. I hear quite a lot of people say HAICH when they mean "AICH" they seem to think that they have to actually sound the letter HAICH-- to match the letter itself.

I guess thats probably a Londoners trait.

Many of us drop the last "T" in a word.
Id have to say thats more regional dialect/accent/slang or just plain influenced by tv, music etc. Not to say im not guilty myself since as a yorkshireman "going to the pub" often comes out as "off t' pub"

but

Ive never really had trouble understanding any English tho I must admit I may need to concentrate a little harder if the accent is thick.

Maybe its just me I dont know and it could be an intresting to know as ive seen British films being shown in America with subtitles for example, but never any foreign English speaking films in the UK with subtitles.

Is it because our t.v/movie industry imports so much from abroad or maybe because our accents/dialects can change in a stones throw.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-25-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I can't speak for other places, but from my time in Korea and Japan, American English tends to be the preferred choice, there is a seriously weird America-love that I can't rationalize.

I tell all my students to expose themselves to both accents so as to be comfortable with both, learn to differentiate some vocab etc, neither of them is correct. They are both equally crazy and strange and broken lol ...

I always tell them if they're learning English it's to understand and communicate with people who speak it, so learn the accents and dialects or you're pigeon-holing yourself.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I can't speak for other places, but from my time in Korea and Japan, American English tends to be the preferred choice, there is a seriously weird America-love that I can't rationalize.

I tell all my students to expose themselves to both accents so as to be comfortable with both, learn to differentiate some vocab etc, neither of them is correct. They are both equally crazy and strange and broken lol ...

I always tell them if they're learning English it's to understand and communicate with people who speak it, so learn the accents and dialects or you're pigeon-holing yourself.
that makes a lot of sense.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-25-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Id have to say thats more regional dialect/accent/slang or just plain influenced by tv, music etc. Not to say im not guilty myself since as a yorkshireman "going to the pub" often comes out as "off t' pub"

but

Ive never really had trouble understanding any English tho I must admit I may need to concentrate a little harder if the accent is thick.

Maybe its just me I dont know and it could be an intresting to know as ive seen British films being shown in America with subtitles for example, but never any foreign English speaking films in the UK with subtitles.

Is it because our t.v/movie industry imports so much from abroad or maybe because our accents/dialects can change in a stones throw.

I just love the variety of speech an dialects.

Of course what we see and hear on TV radio will be meant for us to understand.

when I lived in scotland the locals definitely exaggerated their accent for the benefit of myself-- a Sassenach LOL

It must be the same everywhere in the world

when I see text books for teaching English Language I shudder at the difficulties for foreign students really

It would be hard even for me to learn from them.

Teaching is a thriving industry of course.

Are the American English teaching text books different from the cambridge system I wonder?