JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jcj (Offline)
New to JF

non-native English teachers - 09-01-2011, 03:59 AM

I believe the key to English in Japan is in the hands of the non-native English speaking teachers. Especially those who teach young children at home. Does anyone know how I can contact these teachers? Are there groups online? Or websites?
Japanese is OK. My wife can read it for me!!!
Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

09-01-2011, 05:30 AM

True. It does make sense that for Japanese to learn English as foreign language, it is advisable to have a teacher who has passed the same difficulties, i.e. a non-native English speaker. The process for learning a foreign language is quite different from learning a mother language. I didn't get vocabulary homework at my native language lessons, and I never had to analyze paragraph structures or poetry at any of my foreign language lessons.

There are Little Angels in Mitaka, Tokyo.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jcj (Offline)
New to JF

thanks - 09-02-2011, 01:12 AM

Thank you acjama. That is only one reason I think non-native speakers are key. They are also very enthusiastic and enjoy what they are doing. Of course many native teachers are genki too, but most of them work in schools. I am looking for teachers who work from home. I know of two. They are Japanese moms and teach small groups (another reason they are successful) of young kids (important to get them before at pre-school age) at home. If I know two their must be hundreds or thousands of them in Japan. I am looking for a way to contact them.
Thanks again
(#4 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

09-02-2011, 05:50 AM

You're welcome!

The Japan Times article that hinted about the non-native teacher English school Little Angels also mentioned RareJobs.com that offer English lessons via Skype. Maybe you'll get forward from there.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-02-2011, 11:46 AM

so on this basis there is no point in English native speakers going to Japan to teach English?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

09-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Hmm, I suddenly have the urge to quote Shakespeare...

Depends on your priorities. Are they:

1) To fulfill your teenage life long dream (described in full detail here) of "living in Japan" by riding the demand that ignores the result and damns the rest?
- Sure, c'mon in!

2) To actually teach somebody English in a way that in the end, that person can actually converse in English?
- well, have you yourself learned a foreign language? If not, what insights can you give to a person whose starting efforts exceed your end results? How are your pedagogic studies going?

Better to follow somebody's example than simply walk alone to a direction he's vaguely pointing to.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
BillZhao (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to BillZhao Send a message via Skype™ to BillZhao
09-03-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj View Post
I believe the key to English in Japan is in the hands of the non-native English speaking teachers. Especially those who teach young children at home. Does anyone know how I can contact these teachers? Are there groups online? Or websites?
Japanese is OK. My wife can read it for me!!!
Thanks
Maybe, I think you can watch more English movies, it is a good path to learn English. I think the most biggest problems for Japanese is pronounce, if you can do that, you will love English. I am a Chinese.

MSN: billzhao1990@hotmail.com
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jcj (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2011, 11:47 AM

I am not saying native teachers are unnecessary. Most natives work in schools. by the time a kid is school age she has passed the stage of picking up English phonemes from natural native speech anyway. I am suggesting the teachers who work at home, with very young kids are giving the students a great head start. It is fun, not part of a full day of other studies, and in small groups.

these teachers can use audio-visual aids to get the correct pronunciation
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jcj (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2011, 11:47 AM

thank you acjama
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjama View Post
Hmm, I suddenly have the urge to quote Shakespeare...

Depends on your priorities. Are they:

1) To fulfill your teenage life long dream (described in full detail here) of "living in Japan" by riding the demand that ignores the result and damns the rest?
- Sure, c'mon in!

2) To actually teach somebody English in a way that in the end, that person can actually converse in English?
- well, have you yourself learned a foreign language? If not, what insights can you give to a person whose starting efforts exceed your end results? How are your pedagogic studies going?

Better to follow somebody's example than simply walk alone to a direction he's vaguely pointing to.

Most Native english speakers do a special course on teaching English as a foreign language.

So if a person visits England-- are they to avoid all the locals and search for foreign teachers of ENGLISH?

Its crackers to me.