(#12 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiri View Post
yeah I mean Japan is like any other place in the world. The country has its good times and its bad times, just because their anime/manga/movie industry is good and shows some good and exciting things happening doenst mean its like that for real
Yeah, if it was so, America would be overpopulated lol

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Hey4Horses (Offline)
Soul Music Revolution!

12-31-2007, 02:34 AM

I like learning about new cultures and I do excited over the idea of Japan but I get excited over other stuff as well initially. That usually gets me to dive into all kinds of things related to whatever I'm getting into. The manga/anime are not all positive fun stuff though. The culture/violence/stuff from the news comes across in these shows as well. Movies are good too. The bands are different as well. Some stuff I like and other stuff not so much.
It depends on how the person takes it I guess....
Reading some of the stuff that goes on over there weirds me out but America can be a violent/frustrating place.....
Anyways, JAPAN FORUM rocks!

Khalil Fong is my man!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

12-31-2007, 05:26 AM

I think that Japanophile should describe someone who is interested in Japan culture in general. And anime fan should describe someone who is interested in anime.

I dislike this slang version of Japanophile that seems to be spreading.

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
DesiredMess (Offline)
.Infront of Persona.

12-31-2007, 05:28 AM

^True. A lot of anime lovers call themselves this when they are only attached to anime and not Japanese culture. They use it in a misleading fashion.

Videogame junkie extraordinaire. I often need help getting snapped back into reality, so bare with me.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
QuoyaNatsume (Offline)
<==========="Gimm e Sugar"

Send a message via MSN to QuoyaNatsume
12-31-2007, 05:37 AM

Well I like the anime very much but I'm also taken with the traditions that they have in martial arts, festivals ,and operas as well...although it was originated from Western civilization they somehow made into their own version.

MOM-Yuri Yurir-IonFortuna
Stalker To-Excessum GirlFriend to-TheUnknown
Crazy Brother-Narutocrazy101
Big Brother-SeeD
Gatekeeper-animedude3 -Tasty Cream Pie To-Diru0gaze
Son-Thunda Talkative romantic brother-Powermad147
Auntie-tiki808 Auntie to-Eiri& ML
Kittie w/ Wings-Hoshichan 'ly Camera Vixen- Pjok
+~Member of the Tenjho Tenge Clan
Member-Maya Natsume+~
Member of the THE PERVY CLUB!!
~+MeMbEr Of ThE VaMpIrE cLaN+~

Last edited by QuoyaNatsume : 12-31-2007 at 05:40 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
DesiredMess (Offline)
.Infront of Persona.

12-31-2007, 05:42 AM

I love anime too, and manga as well. But I also love the culture, foods, music, fashion, and sites. I would love to visit there regularly one day.

Videogame junkie extraordinaire. I often need help getting snapped back into reality, so bare with me.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sutiiven (Offline)
nothingness

Japanophillies - 12-31-2007, 06:00 AM

i see what you all are saying i quite only like there culture and the scenery and history but not a manga or game addiction like a ddiction for them reasons.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-31-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
I think that Japanophile should describe someone who is interested in Japan culture in general. And anime fan should describe someone who is interested in anime.

I dislike this slang version of Japanophile that seems to be spreading.
Hm, I thought that a "Japanophile" is for a person who is obsessed with everything Japanese regardless of its being something like anime or Japanese cuisine or a Yutaka, etc., and praises it or think it's better than anything and everything, even if that person is far away from ever being a native to the country itself. That's my understanding of a "Japanophile". If I'm wrong, feel free to correct.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

12-31-2007, 06:47 AM

People define the word differently. The way you and the topic starter have used it is this new slang thing.

Phile is Greek for love. You can love Japan without being hateful towards that which is non-Japanese and being delusional about Japanese culture.

I would say that I'm am interested in things for the simple fact they are Japanese. I want to understand Japan better. I may not ever be particularly fond of the music Japan makes in comparison to some music from other countries, but it's interesting to watch the PVs and read up on the artists and listen to it just because it's Japanese.

So I would say yes to that "like it just because it's Japanese" thing. But that doesn't mean I proclaim it's superior. Being someone interested in Japan, the fact that it's Japanese in the Japanese language can sometimes make me overlook qualities I would normally not overlook.

Books are good for studying Japanese but it's nice to have movies and such to go with it. And nothing gets you pumped up to learn a bunch of kanji like watching a few Japanese movies.

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.