JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
High-Speed ISP's - 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Anyone know any High-Speed ISP's that don't require you to have cable or satellite TV?

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-16-2008, 07:24 PM

DSL providers.

You can get something called a "dryloop" or some companies call it "standalone" DSL/Broadband.

You're basically provided with a dummy phone number so you don't even need to have a home phone line.

Cable Internet doesn't usually require you have the television service though, and satellite internet provideds don't require you have the television service. Most satellite ISPs don't even do satellite internet.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

Send a message via ICQ to Odin Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin Send a message via Skype™ to Odin
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Cable Internet doesn't usually require you have the television service though, and satellite internet provideds don't require you have the television service.
Correct! In the U.S., cable companies can not force you to take TV service in order to receive internet service. This is per the FCC. This is what I have.

The Honored of Valhöll are: Acidreptile: my spiritual brother, smilexfreak7: milaya moya sestra Tsuzuki: my dark goddess,
=Kanji: the eternal wanderer, Zenit: future world conquer, Michieru: self proclaimed mastermind of genius
and the rest of my family in the
~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-16-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Correct! In the U.S., cable companies can not force you to take TV service in order to receive internet service. This is per the FCC. This is what I have.
I know my cable provider doesn't force me to have basic TV with the internet. I think there's one farther north/easy from me though that does require it. Then again it's a very small company.

The CRTC hasn't made a rule against it as far as I know. I believe it's just one of those "if you want to hurt your own business" type things. Then again cable companies are territorial. At least in Canada they are.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
03-18-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
what service do you have, and how are your surfing, download, and upload speeds, and if you don't mind price?

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

Send a message via ICQ to Odin Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin Send a message via Skype™ to Odin
03-18-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
what service do you have, and how are your surfing, download, and upload speeds, and if you don't mind price?
CATV (internet only)
Charter Communications
5Mbit download / 512Kbit upload
$34.99USD + Tax

baring severe weather I typically receive full rated speed, with a lag of 40-80ms to the nearest AT&T backbone.

Not the most dependable provider, and their customer service is terrible, but is the only broadband provider to service my area (in rural Texas)

The Honored of Valhöll are: Acidreptile: my spiritual brother, smilexfreak7: milaya moya sestra Tsuzuki: my dark goddess,
=Kanji: the eternal wanderer, Zenit: future world conquer, Michieru: self proclaimed mastermind of genius
~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~

Last edited by Odin : 03-18-2008 at 02:47 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
03-18-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
CATV (internet only)
Charter Communications
5Mbit download / 512Kbit upload
$34.99USD + Tax
Omg... is the internet so slow/expensive all over the us? o_O

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

03-18-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
No, but I live quite far outside of the city. I have no other high speed options. They do have a 16Mbit options but I don't need it.

~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-18-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
The US doesn't have the greatest internet speeds. Yes, it is priced like that all over.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
The US doesn't have the greatest internet speeds. Yes, it is priced like that all over.
I'm surprised. I got 16mbit internet, with HDTV(though, only 9 channels are HD atm) and Telephone (free calls all over Europe and 23 other countries in the world) for 30 Euros per month... That was the standard price about 2 years ago. These days it might be a couple Euros cheaper though.

I always assumed that the US was relatively cheap for this kind of thing