JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Global Food Crisis. (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/16867-global-food-crisis.html)

Odin 07-01-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 526113)
In Hong Kong there is 16,500 people per square kilometer. That is 1.65 people per meter (they live in massive high rise apartments).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/5...2d094ff8_o.jpg

It goes without saying, the world is over populated, and shows no sign of population slowing.

Food cost is rising and the impact falls mostly on the poor.

Clearing forests for new farming land has extended enviromental impact, and is unsustainable as a solution. Simply, we are running out of forests.

Somethings gotta give, what will it be?

Something does not add up! Where did you get your data? According to the 2006 Chinese census there were roughly 6,994,500. They estimate the current population in 2008 to be around 7,018,636.

Hong Kong has a total area of 1104km². Subtracting area that are water, that gives you a land area of 1053km².

7,018,636 people ÷ 1053km² = ~6665.371 people/km²

1km² = 1,000,000m²

Therefore there are ~0.00665371 person per sq. meter, not 1.65.

So that means there is 150m² per person

If you are referring only to Hong Kong Island, then your math is still wrong.
As of the 2006 census there were 1,268,122 residents.
It has a land area of 80.4km².
So you have a density of ~15,772.66/km² or 0.01577 people per sq. meter.

Although that is still way too crowded.

EveV 07-01-2008 02:17 PM

Learning to adopt and being a little more green friendly.

Also, there's plenty of land on earth that's not forest and it's perfect for farming.
Being friendly with countries that have such supply wouldn't hurt them.
It's amazing all the untouched real estate land you see when you drive around here.
It could easily be given up and used for more useful things, other then new malls.

Acidreptile 07-01-2008 11:35 PM

It seens that natural genocide is the only way out.

manganimefan227 07-02-2008 12:11 AM

What's that?

DivineBled 07-02-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveV (Post 526237)

Also, there's plenty of land on earth that's not forest and it's perfect for farming.
It's amazing all the untouched real estate land you see when you drive around here.
It could easily be given up and used for more useful things, other then new malls.

EveV is right, you;d be surprised how much untouched land there is.

Altaru 07-02-2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 526202)
Something does not add up! Where did you get your data? According to the 2006 Chinese census there were roughly 6,994,500. They estimate the current population in 2008 to be around 7,018,636.

Hong Kong has a total area of 1104km². Subtracting area that are water, that gives you a land area of 1053km².

7,018,636 people ÷ 1053km² = ~6665.371 people/km²

1km² = 1,000,000m²

Therefore there are ~0.00665371 person per sq. meter, not 1.65.

So that means there is 150m² per person

If you are referring only to Hong Kong Island, then your math is still wrong.
As of the 2006 census there were 1,268,122 residents.
It has a land area of 80.4km².
So you have a density of ~15,772.66/km² or 0.01577 people per sq. meter.

Although that is still way too crowded.

Umm... Odin, sorry to correct, but a Kilometer is 1,000 meters, not 1,000,000.

You added 2 zeroes there, so... Accounting for that, according to your own data... That's more than 6 people per kilometer...

Odin 07-02-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altaru (Post 526699)
Umm... Odin, sorry to correct, but a Kilometer is 1,000 meters, not 1,000,000.

You added 2 zeroes there, so... Accounting for that, according to your own data... That's more than 6 people per kilometer...

No you're confusing a kilometer with a square kilometer.

A kilometer is a distance that is 1,000 meters.

A square kilometer is an area that is 1 kilometer by 1 kilometer.

Thus it is the same as an area that is 1,000 meters by 1,000 meters.

1,000m × 1,000m = 1,000,000m
²

Therefore 1km²= 1,000,000m²

Gackt21 07-02-2008 03:37 AM

It is happening everywhere all in the name of Global Warming and Alturnitive Energy.

Altaru 07-02-2008 05:37 AM

Oops! Sorry Odin.

I have math idiot moments at times. I forgot that a square km. was, of course, squared.

My bad. I'll have to work on that. But still... That IS way to many people...

ivi0nk3y 07-02-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 526616)
What's that?

Natural Genocide? That would be something like a Natural Disaster.
I'd like to see people who state that option be effected by one first.
Lead by example. ;)

Quote:

Learning to adopt.

Hm well.. China already have their rules against over child bearing. I doubt learning to adopt will help anymore in that place.

ivi0nk3y 07-02-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJapanChannel (Post 526819)
This must be the most polite forum i have ever read!!
Is everyone here always like this?
or do they delete the usual rude forum trolls?

I'm rude to annoying people :)
But yea the threads usually get deleted if they are of a stupid nature or have become a war zone.

Hip 07-02-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 526113)
In Hong Kong there is 16,500 people per square kilometer. That is 1.65 people per meter (they live in massive high rise apartments).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/5...2d094ff8_o.jpg

It goes without saying, the world is over populated, and shows no sign of population slowing.

Food cost is rising and the impact falls mostly on the poor.

Clearing forests for new farming land has extended enviromental impact, and is unsustainable as a solution. Simply, we are running out of forests.

Somethings gotta give, what will it be?

O.o I dont know what that's all about but I read somewhere that in China you are legally only suppose to have one son or daughter(right now) due to the fear of overpopulating the country any more than it currently is.

And because of this "law" it left many families upset and fleeing the country after that huge earthquare which killed thousandsssssss of people. Half of which were children of those single family homes..Which ultimately left those families childless and heartbroken.

Quote:

Hm well.. China already have their rules against over child bearing. I doubt learning to adopt will help anymore in that place.
Exactly

Hisuwashi 07-02-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Actually it would be very difficult to attempt any agriculture on that land.

chenli 07-02-2008 05:05 PM

Encourage adoption over child bearing, reduce meat consumption, blah blah blah.

Nathan 07-02-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hisuwashi (Post 526904)
Actually it would be very difficult to attempt any agriculture on that land.

Yeah, a lot of the so-called available land is infertile or unsuitable for cultivation. Take the Canadian Shield for example

EveV 07-02-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 527000)
Yeah, a lot of the so-called available land is infertile or unsuitable for cultivation. Take the Canadian Shield for example

I'm talking about the south which is completely different.
I've watched this place go from forest, to country, to city.
They build house after house store after store.
This land could be used for farming and theres TONS of it.
I know this for a fact because many people here bought themselves a few acres and use it for their private gardens. Full of tons of healthy fruits and vegetables.

You people have really lost your sense of size if you can't see that.

If we all put down our barriers and stopped saying " This land is mine" and actually attempted to take care of one another then China would have no worries butttt that's very unlikely to happen.

Cyasarin 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

I think it's all up to nature. If people are meant to stay here, they'll find a way. Human's are intelligent whether you know anyone who is or not. If we're not meant to, then we'll just die. I believe in the whole "there's a reason for everything" idea. If humans aren't needed on the planet anymore, we'll go extinct. Maybe it's better for the environment if the human population is decreased.

ivi0nk3y 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveV (Post 527025)
I'm talking about the south which is completely different.
I've watched this place go from forest, to country, to city.
They build house after house store after store.
This land could be used for farming and theres TONS of it.
I know this for a fact because many people here bought themselves a few acres and use it for their private gardens. Full of tons of healthy fruits and vegetables.

You people have really lost your sense of size if you can't see that.

If we all put down our barriers and stopped saying " This land is mine" and actually attempted to take care of one another then China would have no worries butttt that's very unlikely to happen.

Well its true that people chop down a lot of trees to make way for their own use, especially for the "Rubber" industry.

Amnell 07-02-2008 07:37 PM

Some of the price inflation of food stuffs can be attributed to rising gas prices. The cost of shipping food overseas or by truck has gone up--even supplemented by Ethanol, which is more expensive to refine in the first place and places undue pressure on the corn industry, which in turn pressures dairy, beef/pork/poultry, and pretty much any other industry that has any reliance on corn at all, which further inflates prices.

Best way to help (not 'solve', notice) the problem of food prices is to go down to Saudi Arabia and kick some of those oil-hording butts back into line, if ya ask me >_< . Better yet, allow American companies to drill in Texas and Alaska!

Even better than that, having a "closed circuit" for goods manufacture and disposal would make a lot of things a lot cheaper. I'm talking about recycling. Not that recycling is free... But it should save some money, yeah?

TalnSG 07-02-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 527068)
Best way to help (not 'solve', notice) the problem of food prices is to go down to Saudi Arabia and kick some of those oil-hording butts back into line, if ya ask me >_< . Better yet, allow American companies to drill in Texas and Alaska!

I don't entirely disagree with you, but let me guess. You don't live in Texas or Alaska, do you? Why don't we drill for oil in Ohio? They have an even larger reserve underneath their land, but successfully killed any drilling as far back as at least the early 1960's.

How about we stopped spiking every food product out of American factories with "High Fructose Corn Syrup". Its not needed, and its slowly killing people with empty calories. Besides it destroyed the flavor of those thing that really benefitted from being made with cane sugar, which we now pay southern farmers not to produce.

Amnell 07-02-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 527089)
I don't entirely disagree with you, but let me guess. You don't live in Texas or Alaska, do you? Why don't we drill for oil in Ohio? They have an even larger reserve underneath their land, but successfully killed any drilling as far back as at least the early 1960's.

How about we stopped spiking every food product out of American factories with "High Fructose Corn Syrup". Its not needed, and its slowly killing people with empty calories. Besides it destroyed the flavor of those thing that really benefitted from being made with cane sugar, which we now pay southern farmers not to produce.

Not sure what my being from Texas or Alaska has to do with anything... It's a widely known estimate that Alaska alone has more oil in it than most of the Middle East, yet the environmentalist nazis are constantly lobbying to make sure we can't drill there because, god forbid, laying a pipe in the ground might kill a few fish. Ohio would only be another example of the same stupidity.

While I agree that HFCS is useless and unhealthy, I fail to see how that might help a global shortage of food. It'd be better to stop procuring corn for ethanol.

Short of massacreing millions of people, there really isn't a way to eliminate over-population. Although, if there is indeed a major food shortage world wide, then that means that nature is about to balance itself. With less food, population growth would stem and the global census for the rest of history would read 6.2 billion or whatever.

Of course, since population growth in some areas is STILL exponentiating, one has to wonder if claims of a 'global' food shortage are really true.

manganimefan227 07-02-2008 11:41 PM

The problem with your second suggestion is that most of this rich oil land in Texas is being used to build houses stores and malls so there is just no more space. And recycling has always been suggested. People just don't listen. *shrugs*

Amnell 07-03-2008 01:20 AM

Hm... There's still the horizontal pipe stuff that they keep suggesting for use in Alaska. That could go under houses, easy, no?

Mer, I dunno that much about how it works, I just know that it's there and a lot of people want to drill it while a lot of louder people want to keep it illegal to drill.

SatoriOne 07-03-2008 01:35 AM

The real problem here is not the food crisis but rather the weather crisis. It is irregular weather patterns that are impacting harvests. Moreover it is only getting worse. If global warming continues unchecked the rise of temperature in the world's oceans will cause an enormous drop off in precipitation cycles. This means less rain, worldwide desertification and less farmable land.

It also does not help that man is cutting down vegetation at an alarming pace. The Amazon rainforest ecosystem will collapse in 20 years. That also effects weather patterns and atmospheric CO2 levels. And that is but one example.

I fear humans are setting themselves up for a sudden downfall. Im not saying it would be the end of humanity, but rather an end to the comfortable and wasteful lifestyles we have come to know. There is no way we can continue on doing what we are doing to nature. Everything has a limit.

Altaru 07-03-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Incidentally, particularly here in America, such an idea is despised and tossed aside because we the "greatest, most free" country in the world thinks that would lead to communism, and we wouldn't want anything related to that because the few of us who actually have a say (the rich, if you can't figure it out) would have to give up their luxurious lifestyles, wouldn't they?

Quote:

Short of massacreing millions of people, there really isn't a way to eliminate over-population. Although, if there is indeed a major food shortage world wide, then that means that nature is about to balance itself. With less food, population growth would stem and the global census for the rest of history would read 6.2 billion or whatever.
Maybe I'm just incredibly cold, but I see plenty of people in the world that we could EASILY "trim" out of the circuit, so to speak... Major criminals being in the high slots on my list.

As you can probably tell, I support Kira's ideals. Not the execution, just the ideals.

Of course, there's always the potential of a "false accusation." However, when there's over-whelming evidence against the perp, and ESPECIALLY if he's a repeat offender, I don't see the point in sending him to jail and using the tax payers money to give him three square meals and a roof over his head, just HOPING that he won't get out of jail and commit the same crime again, this time with more "street cred."

But, that's just my oppinion on how to lower the population. Not to mention, it would lead to a much safer and inevitably happier world. Sure, it might only be safe because of fear, but looking through the past it seems that the ONLY way to maintain peace amongst human being is to put the fear in them.

After all, the Cold War never fully exploded, because both sides were afraid of the nukes, am I not right? (Note the word "fully," as in all out between the US and Russia)

Quote:

The real problem here is not the food crisis but rather the weather crisis. It is irregular weather patterns that are impacting harvests. Moreover it is only getting worse. If global warming continues unchecked the rise of temperature in the world's oceans will cause an enormous drop off in precipitation cycles. This means less rain, worldwide desertification and less farmable land.
After reading this, I've been thinking...

What if there USED to be life on Mars, but they did the same thing to their planet that we're doing now? Maybe that's why it's more-or-less just a huge desert...

MMM 07-03-2008 04:37 AM

There is no more usable farmland in the US. Every inch is being used. That's why lots of farmers are going to Brazil to buy cheap land and grow now very profittable crops like sugar cane for bio-fuel.

Odin 07-03-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 527383)
There is no more usable farmland in the US. Every inch is being used. That's why lots of farmers are going to Brazil to buy cheap land and grow now very profittable crops like sugar cane for bio-fuel.

Hmmm, yes and no. Utilization of current farmland is near 100%, however there are large tracks of former farmland, that have gone feral under government wildlife conservation programs. The farmers are paid $50 per acre not to plant, and allow the land to return to it's natural wild state. However with newer high food prices many farmers are wanting to pull out of these programs. At the current food prices, they can earn over $150 per acre planting wheat or other staple crops.

The main driving force for the land grab in Brazil and Argentinia is economics. Farmers who wish to expand production into previously underutiliesed land, find it much much cheaper to produce in there. Land and labor cost are lower by a factor of 10 or more in those areas.

There is also the problem of farmland conversion in land near metropolitain areas. Even with higher food prices, it is often the case that the land is worth more to urban developers, than it would ever be worth as farmland. So many farmers sell out, and buy land in South America.

Also it has socially become compleatly unexceptable in North America to expand into land that is still in a natural state.

allie2590 07-03-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y (Post 526818)

But they can have a second child if their first child is a girl. However, many of them cannot afford a second child and no one wants girls, so they send them off to orphanages. With a population as large as China's, you can probably imagine how many babies need to be adopted. Some relatives of mine adopted 2 girls from China.

TalnSG 07-03-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 527119)
Not sure what my being from Texas or Alaska has to do with anything... It's a widely known estimate that Alaska alone has more oil in it than most of the Middle East, yet the environmentalist nazis are constantly lobbying to make sure we can't drill there because, god forbid, laying a pipe in the ground might kill a few fish. Ohio would only be another example of the same stupidity.

Because if you lived on the land you are suggesting be drilled you might be more informed about both sides fo the issue. Drilling sites do far more damage than killing a few fish while they are being constructed, even when they don't have accidents. As for running pipelines under people houses, you obviously are not thinking beyond your own needs.

Do you want a pipeline under you that prevents you from digging on your own land? Whether its for a fence post or a water well, you cannot dig.
Do you want a pipeline under you that may rupture because of either land shifts, improper installation or defective manufacturing? If there is not an explosion that destroys everything you own and kills your family, you could still have a seepage that kills all vegetation, contaminates your ground water and requires a major construction & excavation team tearing up your land (and maybe even your house) to repair it. Talk to the people in the Dallas suburb last week who watch their neighbor's house blow and put three people in the hospital with critical burns.

More drilling sites are not the answer. We need less consumption.

TalnSG 07-03-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatoriOne (Post 527325)
The real problem here is not the food crisis but rather the weather crisis. It is irregular weather patterns that are impacting harvests. Moreover it is only getting worse.

Thank you for a voice of reason, SatoriOne.

Odin 07-03-2008 03:33 PM

Let me start by saying, all of this talk of oil is getting a little far from Tenchu's original post about food and population.

Most people on this forum don't really understand how the oil industry thinks and operates. My grandparents are deeply involved with oil and I have a different perspective than what is typically seen in the news.

Very few people realize how much oil and gas may be under their feet, but trust me when I say the oil companies do. Oil supplies in the ground are quite good, even without the drilling of additional fields. In the southern U.S. there are many wells that have been shut down for the last few decades. This is not because there is not oil in the wells, but because it is cheaper to acquire from sources like the middle-east and Africa.

Now that the price of oil has began to rise many of those dormant pumps are being turned on. There has also been a resurgence of drilling operations world wide. This is not because the oil is needed for immediate consumption, but because with the current oil prices the cost of drilling are quickly recovered.

Competition between oil company is one of the big reasons why they want to invest into new oil and gas fields like Alaska and Brazil. This is because once they have a hole in the ground, they will have secured the rights to that revenue source for many years to come.

Now I would like to for us to get back to the original topic of this thread. :D

Gackt21 07-03-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 527380)
The problem for over population is not global warming. That is a pretty uneducated response...

The problem is simply with so much energy (being electricity) we have an increased ability to expand. Everything has expanded and therefor so has our population. But it is unrelated to global warming, even if it is tied into one of the causes.

That is two of the excuse the government gives us. Libs do this a lot. First, they come up with the Global Warming scam then they don't want to drill for the oil because of enviromentalist because they say we will hurt the animals. Then they go after our corn crop for alturnitive energy and cause food prices to go up. Most of our problem comes from the government restricting things they have no business in. I say lets go drill and get the energy and drop the alturnitive energy scam.

Another issue that would help is to lower taxes and prices for things. I would not take government hand outs but work hard for my money and earn it honestly. Big government makes people poorer than limited government set up by the Constitution of the United States.

Odin 07-03-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 527533)
And so it should be, I think. Yet will that get overturned by economic failures? Probably. But countries like US will prob be the last to suffer from food shortage.

Oh I agree with you, I don't want to see any expansion into natural habitats.

Nathan 07-03-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 527504)
Hmmm, yes and no. Utilization of current farmland is near 100%, however there are large tracks of former farmland, that have gone feral under government wildlife conservation programs. The farmers are paid $50 per acre not to plant, and allow the land to return to it's natural wild state. However with newer high food prices many farmers are wanting to pull out of these programs. At the current food prices, they can earn over $150 per acre planting wheat or other staple crops.

Kind of ironic that many farmers entered these programs because grain and cattle prices were so low almost every farmer was in the red ten years ago. They federal government had to step in to save almost every farmer in Saskatchewan (part of Canada) from bankruptcy.

Nowadays, you don't become a farmer unless you're going to inherit a very large tract of land. The only people actually making money from farming these days are large companies, and individual farmers that lucked out on having a very rich topsoil.

Gackt21 07-04-2008 12:40 PM

Well I have heard it said that Libs don't care about the people when they talk about the environment being protected. You just want to stop pogress for reason of destroying a country. That is what the Libs and the Dem want you to think. Population rises you get more resourse to help it not stop it. Earth is ajusting to it just fine. You don't make much sense when it comes to the basics of suppy and demand. It is now 50 to 100 American dollars (4 dollars a gallon) to fill up are cars and I have heard it is worse over in Europe (7 dollars a gallon). Don't tell me it is the full fault of the gas companies because they have so many restriction on them they can go get or refine anything. So you the consumer will pay more and more money until you don't have enough to survive in this world then you will be hoping you listened. Big government is most of the cause here and not the oil companies.

noodle 07-04-2008 02:58 PM

The world is fine, and we're not running out of space or food... If it weren't for busines and money, we could easily have double or triple the world's current population. Unfortunately, comforts make us destroy the planet.

Odin, thanks for the correction at the start of the thread... I was gonna mention it, but good explanation.

fluffy0000 07-04-2008 06:26 PM

sorta not

Farming is big business and does'nt operate without money and business. Unless your describing subsistence farming which unfortunately is what 3rd World countrys have too operate with? According to UN and UN food program fyi UNF has spent over 612 million (USD) dollars on food for hungry people and needs more. For example UNF assists Ethiopia to reach an additional 4.7 million people in response to the government's urgent appeal for food and nutrition assistance to avoid hunger-related deaths in the coming months. According too UNF they are hard pressed too meet the minimum demands due to civil wars and natural disasters like climate change especially in Southeast Asia. The US provides 60% of all the corn -1/3 soybean crop - 1/4 rice that transported across international borders-according to 08' Crop reports for US soybean and corn are 10-20% behind last years crop due too rain. Due too low supply of key commodities in US due too weather ( rain ). Droughts and rising fuel prices too transport key commodities are another factor in continued 'world food crisis' according to UNF 08' sources.

noodle 07-05-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 528377)
Double or triple, are you serious?

Why not? Not everywhere in the world is like Hong Kong you know... In fact, the majority of the world is uninhabitted (even if you exclude the harsh parts of the world where it would be impossible for humans to live safely). Another way to look at it, one sixth of the worlds population lives in china and they still have plenty of space. Of course the cities are overcrowded, but they can easily build a couple more dozen cities.

The only thing making this situation dire, is money and business.

noodle 07-05-2008 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
why are you showing me the earth at night? That doesn't really concern this topic. You ought to be showing this image instead...

the red is where it is densly populated. I think it's obvious that there is a lot of room left:rolleyes:

Odin 07-05-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle (Post 528566)
why are you showing me the earth at night? That doesn't really concern this topic. You ought to be showing this image instead...

the red is where it is densly populated. I think it's obvious that there is a lot of room left:rolleyes:

Space is not the issue. Resources are the problem!

The problem with that map is that it only show space available, and does not give any indication of available food resources. I know I've seen a map of arable land, although I can't seem to find it at the moment. Until I do, let me offer this map, that gives a indication of how little of the land surface supports vegetation. If you notice, in particular in Europe and Asia, there is a strong correlation between the areas of high human population and areas of high vegetation. (sorry it's a rather large map)

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/2...1_lrg_full.jpg

According to current estimates by the American CIA, calculates the total amount of arable land to be about 13% of the total land surface. Of that about 4.7% is currently being used for permanent crops. So we are using about 36% of the available land.

So yes there is room for growth, however with the uncertainties of the environment it is dangerous to substantially eat into the reserves this available land. Also, it is not unusual for arable lands to become depleted do to human activity and over farming. Especially in those areas where farming techniques are less sophisticated. So there is no guarantee that current arable land will be available for future use.