LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Diryavi (Offline)
JF Regular

will they accept donations to help finde a cure to this? - 07-10-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I think they tried that when the mexican bat population in the Texas Hill Country was waning, and it didn't go very well. Not sure whether it was the captivity in general that caused more problems or just that they wouldn't breed in those conditions.

But Eve's right, the environmental factors are critical - especially with bats.
There are only 3 major things that most people can do to promote the bat population:
(1) clean up the environment,
(2) educate yourself and others not to disturb any living colonies,
(3) put up bat houses if you have any in the area. They won't always use them, but if they do they will usually stay. And if not, you have been out that much effort or expense.

There is a good organization to learn more and assist.....
Bat Conservation International
I've been a member ever since their logo was the doubled chinese calligraphy for bats, back inthe mid 1980s.

Will they let people donate money to stop this syndrome before it spreads?

DirYavi
(#12 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
07-10-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
(3) put up bat houses if you have any in the area. They won't always use them, but if they do they will usually stay. And if not, you have been out that much effort or expense.
I've always wanted to put up a bat house.
I looked alot into it at one point.
But bats tend to carry alot of diseases, especially rabies and I'm just scared that might find it's way into my home if I have a large bat population hanging around.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diryavi View Post
I don't expect people to save them from around the world but I want people to be aware that this is happing and if the scientist can't figure out the cure or why this is happening, then it might spread and the population might go down drastically. We need these creatures I would love to save all of them but I know no matter how hard I try to save them it might not be enough. I just want to try to educate and stop the fear of bats because they get such a bad wrap even snakes and if we loose the bats we will be over run by bugs. I'm doing this because I love bats and enjoy what they do for us.

Well that's cool. Educating people is always a good thing
Bats only get a bad rep cos people are cowards. Much like how they kill anything they are afraid of, especially things like spiders. I can understand the snake phobia because if you don't kill a poisonous one, you might be dead instead. So defensively I can't argue with that.
There's no excuse for going out and retardedly killing things though and turning them into an endangered species.

"It's illogical to drive a species to extinction."

"Who said the human race was logical?"

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#14 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Well that's cool. Educating people is always a good thing
Bats only get a bad rep cos people are cowards. Much like how they kill anything they are afraid of, especially things like spiders. I can understand the snake phobia because if you don't kill a poisonous one, you might be dead instead. So defensively I can't argue with that.
Why would you be scared of a bat? o.O They're adorable and amazing. It's a fucking .. hairy thing.. with wings I mean it's SO cool when you really look at it.
I blame movies for giving them these dumb reputations.
Half these kids who have obsessions with vampires ( More like the sex appeal rather then the vampire itself. ) wouldn't even come close to a bat.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
Why would you be scared of a bat? o.O They're adorable and amazing. It's a fucking .. hairy thing.. with wings I mean it's SO cool when you really look at it.
I blame movies for giving them these dumb reputations.
Half these kids who have obsessions with vampires ( More like the sex appeal rather then the vampire itself. ) wouldn't even come close to a bat.
That's like asking me why people would get pierced or why they would have tattoos. Different people have different irrational fears. Educating them about it is the only thing you can do ;/ Or I guess you could smack them too

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kingAndres (Offline)
is in Spain....

Send a message via MSN to kingAndres Send a message via Yahoo to kingAndres
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Well i found an article on WNS on White Nose Syndrome - Unexplained Bat Deaths in the Northeast

Wildlife biologists and land managers are alarmed by what many are saying is the most serious threat facing bat populations in human history: Tens of thousands of bats are dying in hibernacula in the northeastern United States and no one knows why. The mysterious affliction, reported in New York, Vermont, Massachusetts and most recently Connecticut, is dubbed “white-nose syndrome” because many affected bats develop prominent halos of white fungus surrounding their faces. White-nose syndrome (WNS) was first reported during the winter of 2006-2007 in a few hibernation caves near Albany, New York, where more than 8,000 bats died. During the winter of 2007-2008, it was reported in at least 18 additional caves and mines in four states. Some biogists put 2008 mortality could be as high as half-million animals that will not be documented until a 2009 census

if you want to read more go ahead

and here is how WNS looks like

Try to learn a new thing everyday to help you grow.

Family
kurtfu22= Sister
MonsterMonster= B sis